1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

In Car Camera Mount (for panasonic G3)?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Tadgh78, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Tadgh78

Tadgh78 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Ireland
    I'm going on a trip to Iceland in a couple of months and I'd like to try taking some time lapse video of road journey's from inside my car with my (soon to arrive) Panasonic G3.
    Can anyone recommend a suitable in-car mount that would allow me to do that? If there was such a thing as a charger that could power the G3 from the cigarette lighter that would also be a handy addition.

I've seen some cheap sucker type mounts of the sort that are used for sat navs but I have a feeling that they wouldn't be strong enough to hold a fairly heavy camera like the G3 in place and they probably wouldn't provide enough clearance between the mount and the screen to allow the use of the G3.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    It may be a bit of overkill for your intended purpose (although not quite so much as the CineSquid suggested above), but how about something like the Delkin Fat Gecko?

They also offer a single suction cup Mini Mount.

3. Tadgh78

Tadgh78 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Ireland
    The CineSquid is overkill in terms of price and a bit too bulky for travelling anyway.
    The fat gecko is not really overkill, but the problem is I'm in the EU and the makers of fat Gecko only seem to ship to U.S and Canada.

4. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not sure it helps you, but it looks like Warehouse Express (in the UK) sells the Fat Gecko, so it does appear that Delkin imports these into Europe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I forgot about the second part of your question.

I'm aware of battery chargers for the G3 that will operate off a 12V power source, such as this one from Wasabi. That's going to require you to swap batteries into the camera occasionally, though. You could probably achieve the same ends with a couple of spare batteries that you could charge each night.

The other possibility I could envision would be to use Panasonic's DMW-DCC9 DC coupler which requires DMW-AC8 AC adapter which I suppose you could plug into a power inverter for in-car use. This strikes me as wildly kludgy (since you're converting from DC to AC and then back to DC), but it might work. [Disclaimer: I haven't tried any of these products and won't be held responsible to any damage you do to your camera or vehicle through their use.]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tadgh78

Tadgh78 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Ireland
    Thanks for the tip on the Wasabi battery charger. Relative lack of battery power is one of the G3's main weaknesses, The 1500mah batteries will represent a significant improvement in terms of capacity over the standard 1010mah Panasonic ones.

On the decoupler idea, I agree that using two different systems to go from DC to AC and back to DC seems more than a bit inelegant.

Is there any reason in principle why the decoupler for the G3 couldn't be connected to the car cigarette lighter socket via a DC to DC converter?

The G3 draws about 8V and up to 2A, so why wouldn't any adapter that takes the 12v D.C car cigarette lighter power supply and outputs around 8V do the job, or is there something I'm failing to consider?

7. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, that seems like it would work if you feel confident in your ability to find or hack together something like that with the right connector, voltage and amperage for the DC coupler.

8. Tadgh78

Tadgh78 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Ireland
  9. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You could rig one of these and plug into an automobile cig lighter no problem.

Voltage Regulator ~$0.63 each.