In camera raw viewing, Windows and LR

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by stripedrex, Jan 12, 2013.

1. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    I find a HUGE difference in sharpness zooming in on raw images on my camera, to windows photo viewer then to Lightroom 4. I find a HUGE gap on how clear the picture is from my GH2 to when I look at it in Lightroom (and windows photo viewer being as bad as the camera). I find it hard to tell if I'm TACK sharp off my GH2 and my GF2 zoomed in. I find it's really only resolvable to 4x zoom at 8x zoom it's pixelated. And when I'm using a prime and know will be cropping later it's really unfortunate. Do you guys find the same issue with your camera's raw processing?

2. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Is it because 4x is close to 1:1 and 8x is past 1:1 on the camera? Perhaps zoom instead of 2x 4x 8x should have been ratio like 1:1 at full zoom utilizing all the camera lcd's pixels. And it seems windows photo viewer is just horrible at processing raw. I still feel "4x" probably isn't 1:1. Maybe I need a 5x 6x or 7x. Boo =(.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    what you see on the back of the camera isn't a RAW file - its a jpeg... even if you are shooting RAW only, the camera still generates a Jpeg file for you to see on the screen. This is not a full res jpeg (as far as I know). This jpeg is written to the RAW file - and will be what Windows photoviewer will display as it doesn't know how to interpret the RAW file. Lightroom however can interpret the RAW and only then will you see the full resolution of the image. In fact when you import the files to LR, if you start to look at the images straight away you may see the lower res jpeg for a brief second until LR interprets the RAW. The picture will seem to 'snap' into focus.

This is less of an issue on the Mac OS because the RAW conversion is part of the OS and its available to any application.

hope this helps

K

• Like Like x 1
  4. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    That explains a lot thank you so much. Makes sense now that I think of it. Imagine the battery drain viewing 19mb raws all the time! What I do notice is when I use focus assist the raw seems to match sharpness pretty close so going forward will count on the sensors live view for sharpness.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    As Kevin says, you're looking at a JPEG preview embedded in the RAW file. The problem is compounded by the fact that Panasonic doesn't give you a full-sized JPEG preview. On the GH2 at 3:2, it's 1920x1440 (vs. 4624x3472 as the full resolution).

Most manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, Sony etc.) actually do embed a full-sized JPEG in the RAW, but for whatever reason Panasonic (and to a lesser extent Olympus) don't.

• Like Like x 1