1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

In Camera Raw editing now working

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by harlz, Sep 19, 2010.

1. harlz

harlz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 19, 2010
    Syd, Australia
    Hi everyone this is my 1st post and i have searched the forums looking for an answer but couldnt find 1.
    When I 1st got my epl1 i could apply art filters to my raw photos, now i cant seem to find that feature again. when i go to view the photo in camera and choose raw data edit, the photo turns into a jpeg instead. Anyone please help.

Thanks.

Ps. i really like this forum. Im glad someone started it.

2. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Raw editing is a transparent process. Set the camera up as you wished you had when you took the photo (art filters, aspect ratio, noise filtering, white balance - ANYTHING that happens after the shutter closes) as if you were going to take it again. Instead of shooting again, review the original raw image and choose "raw edit" from the OK menu. It'll immediately save a new JPG with a new shutter count in the filename, applying your currently selected settings to the image. It will then transfer the review to the newly saved JPG, allowing you to perform any jpeg edits to it.

It's not quite obvious from the documentation (or even from the camera's behaviour) how this works, and I discovered it more or less by accident. Once I discovered it, it became the camera's killer feature. Fantastic shot, but the white balance was wrong? Not even nearly a problem, if you shot raw.

If this needs clarifying at all, do let me know. It's clear in my head!

Clarifications: The raw file will never change. It's a dump of sensor output, not a picture. New jpegs will be written each time. If you need to do it again, you need to go back and hunt for the raw image in review mode. Your E-P2 is unlikely to be different from my E-P1 in any practical respect when it comes to raw edit.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    That's cool! Thanks for the tip!

4. harlz

harlz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 19, 2010
    Syd, Australia
    Thanks so much for this info. I gave it a go straight away and now im very happy with the camera and the editing it can perform.

Thanks

5. elshaneo

elshaneo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for this information. I honestly never understood exactly how RAW-Edit works on my Olympus EP2.

6. oldskoolboarder

oldskoolboarder Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Very nice tip. Thanks.

7. qqspm

qqspm New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2010
    Kansas City, MO, US
    Very helpful!
    Thanks.

8. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran