In Camera Photo Stacking Test Results

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TJC-MFT, Dec 10, 2015.

1. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    The other day I set up a little test to see how the new in camera focus stacking would work out. The wine corks were about 12 inches from the camera, and were about 2 inches apart. 60 mm f2.8 macro was the lens. I used a setting of 1, 5, and 10 steps. Did one raw file not stacked for compassion. Focus point was the middle cork for each shot.

winecorks_stck_test-1. winecorks_stck_test-3. winecorks_stck_test-4. winecorks_stck_test-5.

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    Thanks for this. I have been doing some testing on my own. Trying to get a handle on how it works and using the settings.

3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Thanks for posting this. One simple suggestion for this kind of test: add a ruler or something similar to better see what is in focus and what not.

Strange that from 5 to 10 shots the focus moved to the front loosing the rear cork. Slight AF difference?

4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    It isn't 5 to 10 shots, they are all 8 shots. It is changing the stepping differential to 10, so these are big steps, which I suspect happened to miss that cork. A long ruler at an angle would make it easier to understand what is happening.
    My tests with the 12-40 at 12mm show that with a stepping of 8 I can get everything sharp from closest focus to infinity.

5. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    I will add a ruler and repeat the test. I am interested in doing this again to see if I (or the camera) missed the focus point. I am also interested in why I have some banding in the background of the jpegs and not the raw capture. I normally use raw only so getting jpegs from my omd-1 is new to me.

6. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    That banding looks as if it could be a stacking artifact. What is that grey thing - is that something with a texture? Perhaps an interference effect? It is a complication you could usefully remove.

7. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    The weather has been so nice lately that I have been outside but this weekend we are suppose to get some nasty storms. If we do I know I will get bored and then I will break out my target from my focus adjust system and do some testing.

8. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    image. This is with Zuiko 12-40/2.8 Pro .

9. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    The background is a black fiberboard, a gray card and the white side of a another gray card.

10. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    In that case what was the lighting? Could it have been a type that flickers, such as fluorescent?

11. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    Yes it sure could be the lights. They were fluorescent.