In Camera Photo Stacking Test Results

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TJC-MFT, Dec 10, 2015.

1. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    The other day I set up a little test to see how the new in camera focus stacking would work out. The wine corks were about 12 inches from the camera, and were about 2 inches apart. 60 mm f2.8 macro was the lens. I used a setting of 1, 5, and 10 steps. Did one raw file not stacked for compassion. Focus point was the middle cork for each shot.

winecorks_stck_test-1.jpg winecorks_stck_test-3.jpg winecorks_stck_test-4.jpg winecorks_stck_test-5.jpg

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    Thanks for this. I have been doing some testing on my own. Trying to get a handle on how it works and using the settings.

3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Thanks for posting this. One simple suggestion for this kind of test: add a ruler or something similar to better see what is in focus and what not.

Strange that from 5 to 10 shots the focus moved to the front loosing the rear cork. Slight AF difference?

4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    It isn't 5 to 10 shots, they are all 8 shots. It is changing the stepping differential to 10, so these are big steps, which I suspect happened to miss that cork. A long ruler at an angle would make it easier to understand what is happening.
    My tests with the 12-40 at 12mm show that with a stepping of 8 I can get everything sharp from closest focus to infinity.

5. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    I will add a ruler and repeat the test. I am interested in doing this again to see if I (or the camera) missed the focus point. I am also interested in why I have some banding in the background of the jpegs and not the raw capture. I normally use raw only so getting jpegs from my omd-1 is new to me.

6. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    That banding looks as if it could be a stacking artifact. What is that grey thing - is that something with a texture? Perhaps an interference effect? It is a complication you could usefully remove.

7. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    The weather has been so nice lately that I have been outside but this weekend we are suppose to get some nasty storms. If we do I know I will get bored and then I will break out my target from my focus adjust system and do some testing.

8. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    image.jpg This is with Zuiko 12-40/2.8 Pro .

9. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    The background is a black fiberboard, a gray card and the white side of a another gray card.

10. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    In that case what was the lighting? Could it have been a type that flickers, such as fluorescent?

11. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    Yes it sure could be the lights. They were fluorescent.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.