In Camera Photo Preview Query

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by retiredfromlife, Oct 11, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Just wondering what the zoom factor is when viewing a still image in camera fully zoomed in via read dial. Does anyone know the zoom factor? In the E-P5 manual it just says use the dial does not say what the magnification is.

With the screen protector I put on the pictures are not as clear as they were without it.

If the fully zoomed in view is a reliable way of checking sharpness I may try to get a better LCD protector. Currently just using a cut down phone one.

If the in camera view is a reliable preview do good screen protectors degrade the viewable image, if not any recommended brands / types?

Regards

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    It can zoom in quite a bit. I think it might be 10 or 14x. However you need to need to shoot large jpg, or large jpg + raw to see a difference.

3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    There are good quality clear plastic ones. They do pick up little scratches over time and need to be replaced for perfect clarity.

It shows you on the screen what the magnification factor is, 3x, 7x etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
  5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    14X on the E-M1 and E-M5, but I usually check focus at 7x-10x. I'd recommend either a JJC GSPEM1 Optical Glass Screen Protector or Expert Shield for Olympus E-M10 / E-M1. If neither is available in Sydney get one with actual glass.

6. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Thanks for the recommendations for the JJC GSPEM1. I am going to purchase some other JJC items soon so I will add that to the list. Need a few step Up/Down rings.

7. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I have (x2) E-P5 and really had a bit of trouble composing and nailing manual focus on the rear screen, until I got hold of an attachable electronic view finder, the VF-4 specifically.
    Now, what is the point of having a nice and compact camera and slap such ugly cumbersome attachment on it: just buy the E-M1.
    Well, that was my initial buyer remorse feeling until I started using the VF-4.
    Suddenly my images could be focused pin sharp (in critical situations) and reviewed with perfect vision (no need for glasses) even in bright sun.
    Not sure if the optional VF-4 is something you can consider (bulk, expense) but it certainly worked for me.
    As for the E-M1? I did get one but I rarely use it as I find the VF-4's ability to tilt and look down on the camera (in really close-to-the-ground situations) essential for my photography.

8. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    I purched the vf4 a few weeks ago and have not used it much as it does not fit in my bag with it on. But it is something I should start using

9. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Can go down to 14x on my E-M5, but the 14x/100%(?) and seemed to be the same on my E-P3, the zoomed view is only semi-accurate if I shot in JPEG or RAW+JPEG, if I shoot only RAW then it's not as clear as the jpeg. Since it seems to be more or less an embedded preview approximation when it's RAW only.

Now if you mean in live view, that should be even more accurate than you would see the JPEG playback preview.

PS: I had the old VF3 for my E-P3, it was helpful in brighter situations, but I never really found it as clear as the OLED screen on the back in regards to manually focusing.