1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

In Camera Mono. Four 4/3's and a guest.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by saladin, Oct 29, 2018.

1. saladin

saladin Mu-43 All-Pro

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Mainly for my own amusement, i decided to compare the incamera mono modes of some various MFT camera's to see how they looked against each other. I also through in a 'guest' spot to a camera renowned for its 'filmic' monochrome setting.

I shot all the MFT's with the 17mm/2.8 oly, purely to get as close to 35mm effective focal length. Then i cropped to 3:2 and resized all to 2500 pixels on the long edge. Spot metering was done on the nearest bench arm, as was focusing.

Em5i - Monochrome mode. +1 sharpness, +1 Contrast. -2 shadow, +1 highlights. Red filter (I forgot that the last time I used the em5 I had been trying to mimic Mono 2. I should probably reshoot).
    GX8 - Monochrome, red filter
    PENF - Monomode 2, red filter
    G9 - L.Mono D. , red filter
    X100F - Acros , red filter

Em5iC.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    G9C.jpg
    GX8C.jpg
    PenF.JPG
    X100F.JPG

X100F - Acros.

This is not meant to do anything other than see how the various mono modes look.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

Panasonic L.Mono is pretty good, too.

I really liked the Arcos sim on the X100F in some situations, but in others it would turn out really dark. I always had to adjust on the fly and dial in some EC if they looked flat.

3. Dinobe

Dinobe Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Lochristi, Belgium
    I like them in this order:
    1. Pen F
    2. EM5i
    3. X100F
    4. G9
    5. GX8

I've always yearned for a pen f for it's B&W capabilities, but it's interesting to see the potential that the EM5i has with adjusted settings....

4. DefectiveMonk

DefectiveMonk Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio, US
    Mark
    Was there a change in lighting like the sun came out from behind a cloud during this? The EM5 shot is clearly darker overall. Personally, I think that's the best of the bunch. The X100 is decent but the rest lose most of the detail in the grass because it's too bright or not enough contrast.

5. jayweh32

jayweh32 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2014
    1. G9 Perfect balance from highlights to shadows. Kept details in grass.
    2. GX8 Small boost in contrast would match the G9. Keeps details in highlight and shadows not as crunchy.
    2. X100f Loses some of the smooth transitions (back fence) and the shadows are getting dark.
    4. EM5 Too dark loses detail in shadows not as smooth
    5. Pen F Too bright loses detail in shadows and highlights.

Goes to show how much this is just opinion as Dinobe is about the opposite of myself. To me the olympus look too over processed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I like the EM5 shot the best. I probably shouldn't have sold it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Somewhere in Southern Oregon
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Great post. Great comparison. The Olympuses (is it Olympii?) seem to have inherently greater contrast. The Panasonics, more detail. The X100 sort of a middle ground (although I am a fan, in general, of the classically contrasty Acros 'look').

Having said that, I tend to shoot RAW. But I also have a GX8 and am tempted now to do some RAW vs JPEG comparisons of my own, though I suspect I would up the contrast settings slightly.

Thanks for posting this. It's certainly food for (photographic) thought.

8. I’m currently spending all my current snaps on the Pany L.Mono filter as I watched a YouTube review where the reviewer loved it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.