In-Camera Lens Correction

3dpan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alec
As I understand, my E-M5 II (and other models) will apply lens correction data for m.zuiko lenses to Jpeg image files.
So far, so good.
I do not understand what happens to lens correction data and RAW files.
Could someone explain please ?

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
To add to what @John King said, the correction data is embedded in the RAW file when shot. A handful of RAW developers let you toggle this on/off but the vast majority apply it automatically and don’t give an option to turn it off.

wyk

Mu-43 Regular
The only cameras I own that do not put native lens correction in to the raws are Canon CR2 and CR3 files. My Sony adds the lens correction in to the ARW files. I'm happy my M5 MK1 also corrects raw files for my Panasonic lenses. I just wish it got rid of more of the CA.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
To add a little more detail. The firmware in the M43 lens contains the correction data for that lens. The camera reads that data and stores it in the raw file. The postprocessing software takes that data and uses it.

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
To add a little more detail. The firmware in the M43 lens contains the correction data for that lens. The camera reads that data and stores it in the raw file. The postprocessing software takes that data and uses it.
To add a little more detail, this data is all proprietary and its use basically requires a license, so only the bigger commercial software is likely to use it. Other software may provide varying degrees of correction via other means, though... AFAIK RawTherapee has an algorithm for creating corrections based on embedded previews, and some other software uses the LensFun database.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
To add a little more detail, this data is all proprietary and its use basically requires a license, so only the bigger commercial software is likely to use it.
Are you sure? I thought it was documented in the M43 standard and made free for anyone to use?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The m43 standard is not a free nor open standard. So I assume lens corrections are "free" in the sense of if you join the m43 standard (buy in), it is included, but I don't think it is published for anyone to use.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom