In-Camera JPEG Cropping?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tjdean01, May 9, 2014.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    My PM2 doesn't have it, but several P&S cameras over the past 10 years have had it. My crappy Pentax Q even has it. I mean why not? If they have the 2x Digital Teleconverter why not a "Crop" function in the playback menu, or, better yet, able to use THAT function as teleconverter? They could call it "Crop TC" or something.

Why would this be important? First of all, I'd much rather have a 2x "teleconverted" image in the form of a 4MP with perfect resolution than an upconverted 16MP one. And think how useful this would be on the fisheye. It would essentially turn the lens into an ultra-wide zoom. Yes you can do this in the computer but it's just not the same or as fun.

So, below, is simple cropping, sure, but finding time to do that on the computer and then the stress of doing it is NOT something I enjoy. Below the first shot is with the 15mm BCL and second with the Rokfish. Those are all I had with me that day and it was a few weeks until I got around to cropping them. I mean, they give us B&W and sepia, right? Why not crop. Ugh.

34q22v7.

nladu0.

xdiddv.

2nk6xyx.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I can see that doing it on the cam would be useful, but fwiw, you can use ImageMagick or any image app with a batch mode to bulk-modify files.

I do it all the time with ImageMagick for making wallpaper files:
    mogrify -size 2048x1152 -resize "2048x1152>" -quality 95 *.jpg

Note this is destructive, so make a copy of the files first if you want to keep the full-size originals.

Barry

3. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    My E-PM2 has in-camera cropping. In review mode, press the OK button and select JPEG Edit. You'll see the Crop symbol

I would never use the feature myself, because I'm too fussy about cropping, so I want to control it on my computer screen.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Every Olympus DSLR and mirrorless system camera has that feature at least since E-520. I used that feature on my E-P1 today for quick cropping and then shared the image via FlashAir card to my phone.

5. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Is there any way to crop to an arbitrary aspect ratio and size? As far as I can make out, you have to first change the aspect ratio to what you want and then pick from one of the few size options available. How do you incrementally change the size of the bounding box?

6. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I'm afraid you have to settle for the very few sizes that Oly engineers have decided are the only ones that you'll ever need.

7. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Dude! Friggin' genius! Thank you for magically sending your powers of awesomeness to my camera! I knew that menu was there but I didn't know that that symbol meant "crop"! Wow, this is really good. I can crop from 16mp down to either half resolution or half size (8 or 4mp) which, although I'd like to be able to choose my own size (to crop out fingers, etc), these definitely suffice. What's even better is that you can move the crop box around!

Wow. I'm as happy as if I'd bought a new lens. And here I thought I was going to be flamed about how dumb I am to want such a feature. Now I have it! :thumbup: