In camera focus limiter?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Klorenzo, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    I was thinking: would you like to have a focus limiter built into the camera body that you can use with any lens?

I suppose it's probably going to be less precise then a lens specific one, but would be great for me and for AF performance I think.

Like a few ranges if not even a custom one:
    0 - 2 meters
    2 - 10
    10- 50
    50 - infinity

You set it somewhere like the WB and release mode settings and you are done.

What do you think? Any camera doing this? Should I write to Oly/Pana asking for it?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    I feel like I've read that some cameras support a feature like this (Fuji?). Would definitely be helpful for photographing birds in flight.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TomC1945

TomC1945 New to Mu-43

Dec 27, 2015
    Not M4/3 but the Sony A77ii has a focus limiter that is far more useful and flexible than any in lens limiter. It can be infinitely adjusted at both the long and short end.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I guess I don't see the point. If I suspect (or see) that the AF will grab the wrong thing, I just switch to manual focus. With the good peaking in my GX7 that pretty much does it, although Panny also gives me a focus scale in the EVF that shows me symbolically where the focus is set.
    In this clip from the manual "A" is called "indicator for infinity" -- hyperfocal distance range I think, "C" is the peaking/fringing, and "D" is the focus scale with the vertical bar indicating where the focus is currently set. I actually don't use the scale much.

Here's one where the AF wanted to grab the twigs:
    Manually focused shooting a Panny G1, which had a terrible MF system but still gave me the shot.
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    This is one of those technologies that is so obvious that it's depressing that it is not being implemented already. All the core functionality is there

It's a huge, huge advantage for dealing with anything moving fast and far away. If I could prevent my 100-300mm from trying to hunt through its range when really I only want it to focus from 50m to infinity (for instance) it would result in a lot more keepers. This kind of "manual automation" is another way to get around the limitations of CDAF in a very simple way.

As TomC mentioned, I believe the A77ii is the only camera on the market that supports this functionality. Fuji may give you distance scales in actual numbers (so that it's easy enough to calculate hyperfocal) but nothing more sophisticated than that. And just going for hyperfocal or infinity doesn't really cut it for airshows or wildlife if you want pixel sharp detail, unfortunately.
  6. ChrisN

ChrisN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2015
    It could also be handy for macro work. The Oly 60mm macro tends to hunt in low light, so it would be nice to have an even more limited range than the built-in focus limiter switch gives you.
  7. TomC1945

TomC1945 New to Mu-43

Dec 27, 2015
    The point is it speeds up the AF by limiting the distance the lens has to travel while achieving focus.