1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

In Camera Charging

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by daum, Mar 9, 2015.

1. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    This makes so much sense for m43 cameras. How come Olympus hasn't done it yet? That's one thing i really love about my A7r. It would be nice if it were just a firmware update but I'm sure they would have to update the ports too. Do you think this will happen soon?

2. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I also like in-camera charging on my Sony camera. But some people (for some reason) seem to hate it.

I really wish my EM5 II had that feature. So much more convenient than removing the battery and setting up the big, awkward charger. But it's not a huge deal.

I'm not sure they can do it via firmware. Maybe? Does anyone know if the USB standard used in the EM5 II would support charging? Olympus is not too good (compared to Sony) when it comes to battery stuff, unfortunately.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  3. ThereAndBackAgain

ThereAndBackAgain Fighting GAS

May 26, 2014
    North Devon, England
    David
    +1 for in-camera charging: it would be a great help. I wonder however how it would deal with after-market batteries, having seen the swollen state of my daughter's smartphone after a few cycles with such a cell.

4. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Yea, I don't understand why people hate it either. You can still charge it in the charger, sure you have to buy one but it's not like they've totally removed that feature. A battery cradle and in Olympus's case wires do take up space when you're trying to travel light.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Most people have more than one battery because it's a big deal if out in the boonies and you need to change your battery, or you suddenly need your camera (because that rare drop bear wandered into your yard) but the battery needs charging, or you decide to go out but your camera has just been put on charge. Hell, people nowadays carry a second battery, or portable charger, for their mobile phones. Sony does this so that they can cut costs by not having to issue battery chargers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. w0den

w0den Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    New Jersey
    And while we are at it, a proprietary cable? Really? Are they trying to be annoying like apple? Oh well, nothing is perfect....

7. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I loved the fact that i can charge my phone, kindle, and camera with my battery pack, or my tiny 11in macbook air in a hotel. Worked great with the 2 battery set up on the A7r. If i really needed one I would just by a the battery charger too.

8. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    Check out the new USB 3.1 standard. it's supposed to allow charging and USB connection through a universal connection that is the same on both sides. so I guess whenever this makes it into cameras we won't have to worry about recharging on the fly as much. personally not much of an issue for me as I carry several batteries usually

9. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Yep, Kindle, phone, gps, tablet all charge on my battery pack. Sure would be nice if the camera did the same.

10. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    It would be a nice option to have. And if they stopped including their slow, heavy, bulky chargers (that get replaced by superior wasabi ones), well, less landfill trash is another plus.

11. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    im 100% with you.

what i would do is take 3 fresh batteries on a trip. run through them during the day. charge in-body at night. (and thats what i did when i was shooting sony).

if i needed fast cycle with minimal supervision, just spend the 20-50$ for external charger.

its nice topping off the battery in a car ride using USB. or portable universal battery pack. or also my macbook air.....

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    The problem with in-camera charging is you get it instead of a separate charger, not as an additional option. There are times when it is nice to be able to use the camera while charging a spare battery. A lot of the hatred is from people that go through more than one battery a day and do not want to quit taking pictures for a few hours while the battery charges. They would have to buy a standalone charger separately. Accessory items tend to be expensive and if Panasonic's history with batteries is any indication they might not even be available when a camera first comes out.

What I would like is for them to start using a standard micro USB connector with in camera charging but include the standalone charger. I already have a phone, tablet and Kindle with the same connector and can use the chargers interchangeably. I do not need a fourth micro USB charger and if I forgot to take one on vacation I could pick one up anywhere. The standalone charger is a lot harder to find. If my GX7 had in camera charging 90% of the time that is what I would use. But if I can only have one option I want it to be a stand alone charger.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nothing wrong with in-camera charging.

Its not having a separate charger that is extremely limiting. I also prefer not to charge in camera since I've seen issues such as overheating in years past. I also question the viability of the USB connector. I wish manufacturers would take a page out of apple's playbook and use magnetic rather than friction.

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I guess having both is too obvious. :rolleyes-38:

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Both would be better.

But I'm in the don't like in camera charging camp. Multiple batteries, multiple chargers, get it done. I've actually owned several cameras that I've never opened those rubber covers on. If it weren't for firmware updates I'm pretty sure my m4/3's would have been the same.

• Like Like x 1
  16. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Camera phone generation mentality. Everything should work like their phone: plug it in to recharge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    I'd turn it around: I have gear for charging my phone already (car charger, battery pack), plus USB charging stations are becoming more common in public places. It'd be nice if the camera could piggyback onto that infrastructure, since the marginal cost to me would be nearly zero.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If the cameras could/would utilize the newest rapid charging technology then it might make sense. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and I have the Moto X Gen 2. They both are rapid charge compatible and within 15-20 minutes can provide roughly 6 hours of phone usage in that charging period.

Otherwise, it is just more convenient for me to have a separate charger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Yes, most new home construction has them now. Every other gadget I have will charge via the usb port. Not "phone mentality" rather, why not have a universal standard? Sure beats carrying around a bunch of adapters, cords and wall warts, etc. and RIP good riddance to the cigarette socket in the car.

edit: this does not preclude using a separate charger if you wish

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    yeah, the pre-camera cell world was best.... every phone with its own proprietary charger
    and separate blackberry device with disposable aa batteries

who cares about progress

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2