In a world where 45mm/1.8 exists, is there any reason to get an old adapted lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Steven, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I've had my eye on the Olympus 45mm for a while but in the meantime keep thinking of getting a 50mm or so manual lens with adapter. Should I even bother or is it better to just put that money toward the 45mm?
    I don't currently have any manual lenses aside from the native fisheye, so I don't really know how much I would hate or enjoy that aspect of it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    If you are willing to spend about $100~ish, try it and see for yourself. Some people already complain about the "slow" AF of the Panasonic 20, imagine spending seconds manually composing a shot. :smile:

I have both the 45mm and a Canon FD 50. Using manual on m43 is not for that blink-and-you'll-miss shots, even if I generally nail my focus fairly accurately without zooming in.

However, I have not given up my FD because of those times when I just want to slow down and enjoy the whole experience leading up to that shot. (Plus I love the color and the quality of the images I get from that FD lens!)
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Well, sure if you factor in price. You can get 50mm's for a song if you're patient, and the 45mm, while a great bargain for what it is, is still $300+. In fact, if you rarely shoot that FL I could argue that it's not worth the price--even though it's a fantastic lens.
  4. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I thought Bhupinder made this thread.
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
  6. macboy001

macboy001 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2010
    Wairarapa, New Zealand
    Usually this question arises because people already have a 50mm manual lens in their closet begging for an adapter (I have a OM 50mm f1.8 and a Nikkor 50mm f1.4, both with 4/3rd adapters from my E-1 days). If I was starting from scratch I would buy the 45mm and probably never look back, unless there was a unique aspect about the 50mm - mostly price :)
  7. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Having a legacy 50mm (vs. m.Zuiko 45mm):

A lot cheaper
    More character
    Good materials (metal)
    True wide open live view (E-P1 opens aperture below 2.8 only for AF and exposure)
    Great feel (and feeling :biggrin:) when focusing manually
    Distance scale
    Can have wider aperture than f1.8

Getting a good copy can be "hit or miss"
    Heavier and bigger
    As slow to focus as its master
    Usually much softer and less contrasty wide open (can be a good thing too)
    The need for adapter
    No lens exif data

The best case would be having them both. By the way, before I bought the 45mm I had the OM Zuiko 50mm F1.4 and for the 18 months that I had it and took many "keepers" I ended up selling that lens for 2€ loss. And who said photography is expensive hobby? (well, it is really :tongue:) I still do have OM Zuiko 50mm 1.8 but haven't used that since I got the 45mm, or actually since the OM zuiko 1.4.
  8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    There are people around here with a mile high stack of 50mm lenses. I love my 45mm, and I use my Minolta 50mm a lot less since I got it -- but I was looking at some Minolta images recently and there's a clearly different character to them.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Steven
    Oly45 mm 1.8 is one of the best MFT offerings .If u like that FL , there is nothing which can beat price and performance of this lens. Its clinically sharp , quick and beautiful Bokeh. I love mine and u will find many members here who stopped using legacy lenses after getting this one. I also love the feeling and quality of old lenses but I dont like to accumulate gear ,so havent bought any legacy lenses.
  11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a Nikon 50mm 1.8 AIS mark III and that lens is great. Almost as sharp as the 45mm and I got it for pretty cheap (about $45).
  12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I think you answered your own question :smile:

I picked up a Canon 50mm macro and a Konica Hexanon 50mm for very affordable prices and both were fun to play with. It turned out I quite enjoy manual focus lenses (some of the time). I'm planning to sell them since I now have a native macro lens and wasn't using the Hexanon often enough, but it was fun to use them for a bit and if you don't overpay you can usually sell them back off for about what you paid for them anyway.
  13. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    another reason to buy a legacy 50: the 45 is quite possibly the fuuugliest looking m43 lens on a black body :rofl:. Neither the 12 or the 75 look bad....the 75 actually looks amazing on the black OMD.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    But let's hope there will be a special-super-limited-supplied-with-hood-black-edition of the 45mm for those who have a lot of $$$ :eek:
  15. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I haven't used a single manual focus 50 since I bought the O45.
  16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    ...because you just need that extra stop of EV in an f/1.2 lens. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Still cannot AF as accurately and reliably as MF (I don't actually have a 45 so if someone wants to help out a lowly fellow by a donation ...).

MF with native AF lenses is horrid.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    If I could find a legacy lens that is sharper than the 45mm edge to edge at 5.6 or f/8 I would seriously consider it for landscape shooting. But so far the only lens that is sharper than the 45mm edge to edge is the 75mm!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    I have the PL 25 for speed and then there's my collection of old M42 lenses, my favorite of which is my early model Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4. I adore that lens. It's going into the box with me when I check out.
  20. Nonnit

Nonnit Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2012
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 vs oly 45mm f/1.8

Yes I posted this in another thread but it just seams to fit right in here:

<a href="" title="4 by Nontest, on Flickr"> 8106989592_a1e18fba0f_b. "1024" height="586" alt="4"></a>

Canon 50mm FD f/1.4 - Oly 45mm F/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 (on canon 600D) - pentax 50mm f/2.0

All lenses at f/2.0

The Canon 50mm f/1.4 and the oly 45mm f/1.8 are neck in neck in sharpness from f/1.8 (the canon is very soft at f/1.4) - it gets more even above f/2.0 and who looks at pictures at 100% crop anyway?

The major difference is autofocus vs manual focus // price

The Canon 50mm FD f/1.4 was 100$ or so on ebay = fantastic lens but terrible slow to focus (and sometimes I just missed the focus)

The oly 45 f/1.8 - (400$ or so) = fantastic lens - at least on par with the canon if not better - After getting it I gave the canon f/1.4 away and the 45 cured me of ever spending another dime on manual lenses.

Yes, I enjoyed "going all manual/just like the old days" for a while but for now I just want the autofocus stuff, if i can't afford it, i will save up.