1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

In a world where 45mm/1.8 exists, is there any reason to get an old adapted lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Steven, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I've had my eye on the Olympus 45mm for a while but in the meantime keep thinking of getting a 50mm or so manual lens with adapter. Should I even bother or is it better to just put that money toward the 45mm?
    I don't currently have any manual lenses aside from the native fisheye, so I don't really know how much I would hate or enjoy that aspect of it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    If you are willing to spend about $100~ish, try it and see for yourself. Some people already complain about the "slow" AF of the Panasonic 20, imagine spending seconds manually composing a shot. :smile:

I have both the 45mm and a Canon FD 50. Using manual on m43 is not for that blink-and-you'll-miss shots, even if I generally nail my focus fairly accurately without zooming in.

However, I have not given up my FD because of those times when I just want to slow down and enjoy the whole experience leading up to that shot. (Plus I love the color and the quality of the images I get from that FD lens!)

• Like Like x 5
  3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Well, sure if you factor in price. You can get 50mm's for a song if you're patient, and the 45mm, while a great bargain for what it is, is still $300+. In fact, if you rarely shoot that FL I could argue that it's not worth the price--even though it's a fantastic lens.

4. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I thought Bhupinder made this thread.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    :rofl:

6. macboy001

macboy001 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2010
    Wairarapa, New Zealand
    Usually this question arises because people already have a 50mm manual lens in their closet begging for an adapter (I have a OM 50mm f1.8 and a Nikkor 50mm f1.4, both with 4/3rd adapters from my E-1 days). If I was starting from scratch I would buy the 45mm and probably never look back, unless there was a unique aspect about the 50mm - mostly price :) 

7. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus loser Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Having a legacy 50mm (vs. m.Zuiko 45mm):

Pros:
    A lot cheaper
    More character
    Good materials (metal)
    True wide open live view (E-P1 opens aperture below 2.8 only for AF and exposure)
    Great feel (and feeling :biggrin:) when focusing manually
    Distance scale
    Can have wider aperture than f1.8

Cons:
    Getting a good copy can be "hit or miss"
    Heavier and bigger
    As slow to focus as its master
    Usually much softer and less contrasty wide open (can be a good thing too)
    The need for adapter
    No lens exif data

The best case would be having them both. By the way, before I bought the 45mm I had the OM Zuiko 50mm F1.4 and for the 18 months that I had it and took many "keepers" I ended up selling that lens for 2€ loss. And who said photography is expensive hobby? (well, it is really :tongue:)  I still do have OM Zuiko 50mm 1.8 but haven't used that since I got the 45mm, or actually since the OM zuiko 1.4.

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    There are people around here with a mile high stack of 50mm lenses. I love my 45mm, and I use my Minolta 50mm a lot less since I got it -- but I was looking at some Minolta images recently and there's a clearly different character to them.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Hahaahaahha....
    :rofl::rofl:

10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Hi Steven
    Oly45 mm 1.8 is one of the best MFT offerings .If u like that FL , there is nothing which can beat price and performance of this lens. Its clinically sharp , quick and beautiful Bokeh. I love mine and u will find many members here who stopped using legacy lenses after getting this one. I also love the feeling and quality of old lenses but I dont like to accumulate gear ,so havent bought any legacy lenses.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I have a Nikon 50mm 1.8 AIS mark III and that lens is great. Almost as sharp as the 45mm and I got it for pretty cheap (about $45).

12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I think you answered your own question :smile:

I picked up a Canon 50mm macro and a Konica Hexanon 50mm for very affordable prices and both were fun to play with. It turned out I quite enjoy manual focus lenses (some of the time). I'm planning to sell them since I now have a native macro lens and wasn't using the Hexanon often enough, but it was fun to use them for a bit and if you don't overpay you can usually sell them back off for about what you paid for them anyway.

13. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    another reason to buy a legacy 50: the 45 is quite possibly the fuuugliest looking m43 lens on a black body :rofl:. Neither the 12 or the 75 look bad....the 75 actually looks amazing on the black OMD.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus loser Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2010
    But let's hope there will be a special-super-limited-supplied-with-hood-black-edition of the 45mm for those who have a lot of $$$ :eek: 

15. I haven't used a single manual focus 50 since I bought the O45.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    ...because you just need that extra stop of EV in an f/1.2 lens. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  17. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

MF

Still cannot AF as accurately and reliably as MF (I don't actually have a 45 so if someone wants to help out a lowly fellow by a donation ...).

MF with native AF lenses is horrid.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    If I could find a legacy lens that is sharper than the 45mm edge to edge at 5.6 or f/8 I would seriously consider it for landscape shooting. But so far the only lens that is sharper than the 45mm edge to edge is the 75mm!

• Like Like x 1
  19. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    I have the PL 25 for speed and then there's my collection of old M42 lenses, my favorite of which is my early model Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4. I adore that lens. It's going into the box with me when I check out.

20. Nonnit

Nonnit Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2012
    Iceland
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 vs oly 45mm f/1.8

Yes I posted this in another thread but it just seams to fit right in here:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/71317677@N02/8106989592/" title="4 by Nontest, on Flickr">
    8106989592_a1e18fba0f_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    "1024" height="586" alt="4"></a>

Canon 50mm FD f/1.4 - Oly 45mm F/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 (on canon 600D) - pentax 50mm f/2.0

All lenses at f/2.0

The Canon 50mm f/1.4 and the oly 45mm f/1.8 are neck in neck in sharpness from f/1.8 (the canon is very soft at f/1.4) - it gets more even above f/2.0 and who looks at pictures at 100% crop anyway?

The major difference is autofocus vs manual focus // price

The Canon 50mm FD f/1.4 was 100$ or so on ebay = fantastic lens but terrible slow to focus (and sometimes I just missed the focus)

The oly 45 f/1.8 - (400$ or so) = fantastic lens - at least on par with the canon if not better - After getting it I gave the canon f/1.4 away and the 45 cured me of ever spending another dime on manual lenses.

Yes, I enjoyed "going all manual/just like the old days" for a while but for now I just want the autofocus stuff, if i can't afford it, i will save up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.