In a bad situation.. What to do

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by colbycheese, Jul 11, 2012.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I dropped my EPM-1 a week ago on tiles. It was an accidental drop but it appears both sides of the body have seperated. The camera still functions, but i want it to get fixed. I know i may have to pay but how long will it take to be fixed? Does anyone have any experience in this? The problem is, i need a camera to use during that time period. I don't know what to do. I don't think i will be able to afford a new body like the g3 or whatever for a while. I have a trip coming up this year. It will most likeley be later on but what do i do? How long will it take to get fixed? what do i do during this time. I am a very active shooter, so i don't know what to do. any help will be very helpful.
  2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Honestly, it may cost more to repair than to look for a refurbished model and then sell the lens. I believe they ate currently going for $299.
  3. If it still shoots then possibly it is crying for the Duct Tape or Sugru challenge.
    If it works then pretty is optional.

For those not familiar with Sugru: Sugru - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    • Like Like x 1
  4. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2011
    Anything can be fixed. It just depends on your interest in paying for that fix.

Can you post a picture of it?
  5. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Would your home insurance cover this? Mine would cover accidental damage to my camera, watch, laptop etc. even outside the home. Mind you, I'm in the UK and it could well be different here.
  6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    with now a days "cheap" built cameras is probably cheaper to buy a new one than paying for a fix of the current one. but if the fix doesnt involve any cables or electronics (as you say the camera works properly) it might just be a physical fix of glue to the casing and you can do it yourself perhaps?
  7. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    show a picture +1

If your camera is not insured against drops buying a new one is very probably cheaper than repair.

The metal body of the PENs is very sturdy but will deform dropped on sturdier surfaces. When I accidentally dropped my PL3 that blocked the menu wheel. Due to the weight distriburion the camera tends to land on that end - I have seen similar damage on forums. It took some time with watchmakers screwdrivers and a hammer to make the wheel turn smoothly again.

If you cannot finance a repair, and have decided to try by yourself: You describe two halves of the body are separating. That sounds like metal parts of the body may be deformed and/or screws are broken and/or the parts in the body the screws attach to may be broken. If some irreplaceable parts are broken, depending on the kind damage, you could use parts from a second broken PM1 to fix your broken PM1.
    Edit: if you are not experienced in the repair of cameras and computing devices, and don't know somebody who is, think twice before an attempt.

P.S. It is bad to have such accidents happen. Hope you get your PEN fixed soon!
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    If you have to pay for the repair, then I agree with others -- buying a $299 refurb with lens, sell the lens, and net pay $200 for the body. Maybe you can sell the broken body for $50 for parts, or maybe you can just do an internet tear-down, and let us all peek inside :)
  9. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I still have extended warranty on the camera from where i bought it. I went there and they said they would ship it away and not say that i dropped it. I don't think that would be enough to fool them. I will try to get pictures of the damage when i can. It has seperated slightly on the bottom by the tripod mount. The edges of the body and dented and bare metal. I was hoping that i could get it sent away and fixed but what do to during the time? But if i will have to pay to fix it, i might as well get the G3 i wanted. I really would miss this camera. That is why i am willing to pay for it to get fixed. It is not major damage, but i dont know how it would be fixed. I am no expert at fixing things. How much can it really be to fix? I really want to fix it before my trip.

CARHOUND Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    Amazing stuff, thank you for sharing!
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    The ethics of "fooling them" aside, My experience is most repairs are, at a minimum, $100-150, plus shipping, though perhaps the camera store covers shipping?

What about your credit card? Sometimes credit cards extend full insurance, even due to accidental breakage.