Impulse buy of EPM1 -> diving in. Now, questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dwkdnvr, Aug 9, 2012.

1. dwkdnvr

dwkdnvr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Denver
    Okay, evidence seems to suggest I'm diving in to m43......

Background: After lying dormant, the photo bug reappeared recently, probably triggered by some vacation discussion. Got the printer working, Lightroom installed, and pulled the Canon 10D out of the closet. Wow, it's a lot bigger than I remember......
    A bit of getting re-acquainted with the state of photo led to my wife deciding that she wanted a Sony RX100. That's a great solution for the pocketable camera, but falls short of a complete solution.

So, in the last 24 hours I caved in to the refurb pricing from Cameta on the E-PM1 as a starter setup, and then compounded the situation by getting a converted Canon FD-50 off ebay, and then hit the deal on the Rokinon 7.5.
    Longer term plans certainly include adding some good primes and either the OM-D or another top-end body, but I specifically liked the PM1 as it seemed to be the ideal 2nd body and my intent is to work with it for a while to get technique / workflow etc dialed in.

So, my immediate questions on the PM1 are:
    - one specific thing I was attracted to is the time-lapse functionality. this remote seems ideal, and cheap. Are there better suggestions? Timer Remote Control Cord for Olympus EP1/EP2/EPL2/XZ1/EPL3/EPM1/EP3/E-M5 RM-UC1 | eBay

- are there any problems with larger SD cards on the Olys? This can probably be answered by a search, but I know some cameras bog down with 16 and 32G cards in some cases. Are multiple smaller cards better than a couple big ones?

Thanks, and I"m sure I'll have some 'real' questions once the gear actually arrives :thumbup:

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the E-PM1 deal!

I used that same remote for my E-P3, which means it will work with the E-PM1. I did not use the time lapse option, but think I tried everything else and it worked well. I especially liked that remote version as it took AAA batteries (I threw in Eneloops).

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I use 16GB crds with all of my Olys and have no problems. I don't use anything larger - I prefer several small cards (4 or 8) so that if I have a card failure I don't lose all of my pics. :biggrin:

4. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

I've used 64GB SDXC cards with the E-PM1, the camera handles them just fine.

The only problem is with my SD card readers - they don't handle them. So, I have to hook up the E-PM1 via USB cable, and do the transfers that way.

As an alternative, I'm thinking of purchasing a bunch of 4GB cards, and using them until they fill up, keeping them as the archival storage (pics are already on there).

5. dwkdnvr

dwkdnvr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Denver
    Thanks for the feedback -ordered the remote.

I'm definitely coming around to the idea that a huge card isn't the best plan - multiple 4 or 8 cards seems more manageable as long as you have a decent storage/organization plan. I'll have to check prices - my impression is that as long as you stay away from the current top-capacity cards, they scale reasonably on a per GB basis, but that needs to be verified.

6. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    I've got the same remote, same camera and I was surprised how easy it was to follow the manual on the remote :)

I use a couple years old class 4 16gb card and it works fine, but I'd like to get a 4gb Eye-Fi card because I pretty much transfer photos to my pc every day.