Improving Skin Tones on the Panasonic G3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by xdayv, Apr 26, 2012.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Admin: please feel free to move this post to wherever it deems proper. I posted it here because it concerns the Panasonic. Thanks!

Hi. I have been trying to improve how the Panasonic RAW files render skin tones, and I just wanted to share what I learned. I'm not an expert in calibration nor in Lightroom post-processing. But just in case, this might help those who have encountered similar situations. :biggrin:

Here's the article I recently wrote:
    Improving Skin Tones on Panasonic G3

• Like Like x 6
  2. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Looks good Dave.

Edit: Just tried it with the GH2 and it works great. I whispered "Magenta be gone" clicked the preset and it's gone.
    Thanks Dave.

3. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Dave, thanks for your study.

• Like Like x 1
  4. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    glad to know. cheers!

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Is this preset for LR3 or LR4? If it's for LR4, I'll ask you to send it to me.

Thanks!

6. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I actually like the originals better. They are rendered with the Adobe Standard profile applied, I assume?

7. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Nice work. I prefer your corrected ones - the originals have that "Panasonic look" that I don't like at all. I'll send you an email request for the preset because it would be nice to have an easy way to deal with stuff from my GF3.

8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    LR3, but would presume it will work just fine on LR4.

Yes. Thanks for the feedback.

Piers, hope the preset goes well on your end.

Cheers!

9. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    Hi dave! I tried your preset with lr3 and the skin tones are too green now i think...

10. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Thanks for the feedback Steph... much appreciated. The preset seems to be effective only on some photos especially when the strong magenta cast is present. This is also the reason why I didn't incorporate it to my default preset because it doesn't work on all photos. Hope you find some photos with the preset effectively implemented.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  11. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Just an update:

I have been using this Lightroom preset for the Panasonic G3 and GX1 raw files. Note: not all photos will need this preset, but if strong magenta cast is present, I use this.

Here's a more interesting discovery, initially I concluded that the GH3 didn't inherit this cast, but after a while, I found out that it still has... but in a more subtle way. Although the GH3 has vastly improved its rendering over previous generations, I still apply this preset.

So not only the G3 and GX1, I also use this preset on the GH3 files. The preset if just a starting point, apply judicious post-process thereafter. The GH3's rendering of color is more vibrant, I would exercise caution to push the contrast and tone curve.

If you like to have a copy of this preset, just follow the link below:
    Improving Skin Tones on Panasonic G3 - dave martinez photography

Cheers!