1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Impromptu photo shoot

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by it'sAlvin, Mar 13, 2014.

1. it'sAlvin

it'sAlvin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2014
    Bay Area CA
    Alvin
    Well it all started with this picture. This is Angela looking for a car on the internet.

_3120224.

I just got the FL-600R flash and needed to test it out and it led to the series of pictures below. This is my first "real" attempt at getting good results. So, how did I do?

_3120231.
    _3120230.
    _3120236.
    _3120277.
    _3120275.
    _3120240.
    _3120252.
    _3120284.

All photos post processed inside lightroom using just the sliders because that's all I know how to do so far. Constructive criticism is encouraged.

#teamOlyEM-1 #rebelkiller #zuiko12-40pro

Thanks for looking!

• Like Like x 3
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Nice series :smile:
    So did she find a car :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  3. it'sAlvin

it'sAlvin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2014
    Bay Area CA
    Alvin
    Yea she found some cars alright. Just can't afford em':dash2:

• Like Like x 1
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Isn't that always the case....

5. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Alvin -You have some nice captures. Its great to have someone so at ease in front of the lens. Number 2 and last 2 are my favorites.

On the technical side, the flash washes out a number of the photos or creates hot spots on Angela's skin causing them to be overexposed. Here are a few things I do. Indoors bounce the flash off the ceiling or whitish wall at 45° or so. I almost always diffuse straight on flash by wrapping a piece of white paper napkin or Kleenex tissue around the flash face, and secure it to the sides with tape. Since she is dark completed, I would spot meter on the brightest area of the subject/object to be in focus, probably the white of her shirt or metal buttons. Depending on the situation I often use a white balance card to adjust color and flash intensity. Just for focus and exposure a scrap of white paper or business card will work, in this case momentarily held by the part of her face you are focusing on. Shooting from a different angle can help too.

I'm a big fan of spot metering and shoot nearly everything that way. I find the lightest/brightest area on the subject. If that makes the view too dark, I find other less bright areas until the overall feel of the composition is how I want it.

I look forward to seeing your ongoing work.

-Chrome

• Like Like x 1
  6. it'sAlvin

it'sAlvin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2014
    Bay Area CA
    Alvin
    Thank you for your critique! It means a lot!!

While using the spot meter on the EM1, how do I effectively use it with my focus point?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Alvin, In the case of portraiture, if you spot focus on the subject and shooting at or above f/4 all of the subject will be in focus. It's been too long since I've even checked my settings (other than ISO), unless I want shallow DOF. My guess is even shooting as low as f/2.8 or 3.5 all of the sitter will be in focus. I prefer shooting with a greater depth of field when shooting people so usually I at f/8. If shooting in this fashion isn't suitable to accomplish your aesthetic, you can do it "old school". Meter off the hotspot or brighter spot you choose, note the aperture and shutter speed, then focus on your spot and adjust and manually change shutter and aperture to what you metered.

When using the flash you should be able to adjust the brightness in the menus. I haven't used one in decades, but a polarizing filter can be used to cut glare. If your flash is capable of being used as a slave, you could set it to the side which would remove the flash burn and provide shadowing to the face.

Alvin, In various art forms, there may be established guide lines, but they are suggestions and not absolutes. Find what works for you to achieve your aesthetic ideas.

Finally, having viewed Angela''s face many, many times while writing you...She is amazingly beautiful!

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1