Impressed with the Panny 45-175

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by shepx13, Nov 7, 2012.

1. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    I really wasn't expecting much with this one. The only consumer tele-zoom I was really familiar with before this was the Nikon 55-200 VR, which was very underrated in quality but slow to focus.
    I picked this up during that Gold-box deal on Amazon, and have been impressed.

Here's one taken at 175mm, with a crop, showing some great detail. Taken in Jpeg, default sharpening setting I believe.

PA120069.

PA120069-2.

2. martink111

martink111 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Nice shot. I just got that lens three weeks ago-it has excellent color and contrast and I love the form factor. The IS does work, but be advised- I have encountered the same issues at medium shutter speeds that many others have encountered. Basically, so long as you shoot away from the 1/60 to 1/200 range, you should be fine. I am continuously amazed at just how effective the Power IOS is at very low shutter speeds- critically sharp shots at 175mm and 1/8th of a second are easily achievable (my Canon 70-300 IS by contrast was unreliable below 1/60th). Above 1/250th, the IS works "ok" but it is clearly designed around low speed photography. Keep this limitation in mind and you should be pleased.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I honestly think the 45-175 is the best consumer zoom I've ever used. I think it's very underrated considering it's features.

4. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I have an OM-D, and usually have to correct for chromatic aberration when I use Panasonic lenses. Not this lens, though.

I love it. Sharp, light, compact, internal zoom, sharp, inexpensive, sharp ... :)

5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    One of my favorite lenses ever and now my E-PM2 enables Power OIS which is truly outstanding. Have yet to experience any serious blurring issues after over 1,000 shots fired in the last few months with this lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

6. laogu

laogu New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2012
    SE Idaho
    Scott
    Anyone compared it to the 45-200? Or used both?

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had both. I prefer the 45-175. Lens is smaller, doesn't extend and is sharp end-to-end. The nano coating also seems to give it better contrast. With prices getting quite low with the 45-175, I think it's worth the extra cost to get the 45-175.

8. Rex914

Rex914 New to Mu-43

Nov 3, 2012
    For the overlapping range, how does it compare to the 100-300?

9. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I also picked up one in the Gold Box Deal. Figured that I would probably end up selling it, as I wasn't expecting to like it, but it was worth a try at that price. It's now my favorite non-low-light zoom. Really dig the internal zoom, which makes me want the 35-100mm f/2.8 even more.

10. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    I too enjoy this lens. Lightroom etc doesn't support many Panasonic or even Olympus lenses for lens corrections, esp. in RAW. At least with Panasonic bodies, there is good correction with jpegs, but not RAW.

I came across a program, PTLens, which corrects an extremely broad array of lenses, including most all Panasonic and Olympus lenses. It didn't have support for the 45-175, so I contacted the author, and arranged to send him 10-12 images at various focal lengths. He then created a profile, which is now on the site and in the program. Amazing to be able to do this, so easily and quickly.

The program is only $25, but I've found it well-worth the price.

PTLens Home Page

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    How is the AF speed?

My sister is looking for an outdoor kid sports zoom for her GX1, something that gives more reach than the kit. She is okay with the AF speed on the kit, so curious if this would be a similar experience?

12. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    I'm not sure how it compares to the Panny kit lens, as the only other kit lens I have is the Oly 12-50. But I have found it plenty quick for my kids with my OMD. I bet it would suit her needs just fine.

I plan on trying it out with my Gx1 this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I haven't done any direct comparisons of that. Obviously the 100-300 has a bit faster aperture in that overlapping focal range, so the 100-300 might be a bit better in low light.

14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    With the mZuiko 40-150 doing such a good job and being so lightweight, how does this Lumix compare?

15. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    It's smaller and lighter, has an internal zoom and is better for video with the power zoom control. IQ is also slight better than the 45-200mm from what I can see on various comparisons on the web. Of course you loose a bit of telephoto and have to pay more, but IMO it's been worth it.

16. zucchiniboy

zucchiniboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    The AF speed is very fast and accurate on my GX1. As fast as the 14 or the 45 primes. Zero complaints here.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I had both, and decided to keep the 45-175mm. They're very nearly the same size and weight, but the Panasonic doesn't extend like the Olympus so in use it's actually smaller. IQ was very similar, with perhaps a bit more contrast in the 45-175mm. And of course the Panasonic gives you IS if you use it on a body without IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's odd. With m4/3 lenses, distortion correction and CA correction on Panasonic bodies are automatic in ACR. Unless you're talking about a 4/3 lens of course...

19. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    When I look in LR4 Develop Module at the Lens Corrections section, and choose Profile->Enable Profile Corrections, nothing shows up (unlike it does with my Nikon lenses). The choices for Lens Profile brand range from Apple to Tamron, with no mention of Olympus or Panasonic. Setup of Default/Auto/Custom has no effect. So the metadata shows, for example, Panasonic GH2 with 14-45mm lens, but the Lens Corrections section shows nothing at all.

Are you saying that corrections are applied but LR doesn't show/tell they are? And, if so, is this true for Panasonic lens on Olympus body/sensor, and vice versa?

Thanks for any info on this.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    it's auto corrected, and it's true:2thumbs: