Impressed with the E-PM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sol95, Nov 29, 2011.

1. sol95

sol95 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi everyone

first post here on this forum. I'm a long time hobby photographer, dating back to when I was in university with an old film Pentax EFX SLR. In this digital era, I've been shooting various Canon DSLRs, and currently have a 5Dii with a nice collection of Canon L glass.

From that perspective, while m4/3 was an interesting blip on my radar, it wasn't anything that I was too interested in. However, 2 months ago, when I was visiting New York, I stumbled upon a free E-PM1 handed out by Olympus. I was astonished they were giving away freebies, but wasn't going to say no to a new camera.

2 months later, suffice it to say that I'm mighty impressed with the output of this little champ. So much so that I've bought a Panasonic 20/1.7 along with an adaptor to use with my Canon L glass.

While my camera of choice is still my 5Dii. When I'm heading out and want a camera I don't have to worry about, it's the PEN Mini with 20/1.7 attached. A wonderful set up.

Anyways, looking forward to reading up more here and learning from all you m4/3 veterans. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
  3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    That mustn't have been Olympus's business case, to give away cameras for free and augment Panasonic sales :biggrin:. Welcome, enjoy your stay here!
  4. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

I'd like to see a shot of the little PM hanging off the back of one of your big L lenses!

Oh yeah, and a few taken with said lenses + E-PM1...
  5. Welcome. I'm quite new here too. Perhaps you could reward Olympus by buying their 45/1.8, it is a lovely portrait prime.
  6. sol95

sol95 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    I'm off on a trip later this week, and plan to pick that lens up in Singapore. :)
  7. sol95

sol95 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011

But going by most reviews, the panny 20/1.7 seemed to be the one to get :)
  8. sol95

sol95 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    I've only really used my 100L macro lens with the adaptor and PM1. But will definitely post up a pic of the mini hanging off the back of my 70-200/2.8L IS II ! :)
  9. Check on the ClubSnap community boards to find where the best deal is. There can be quite a bit of variation in Singapore!
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the EPM1!
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Here's what the E-P1 looks like with the Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD:

This is a very effective combination which I use regularly with my PEN cameras. If you have a tripod ring, I would highly suggest that you use it though. I mount mine on the left side (away from the photo, unfortunately), so that it acts as a wrist support when holding the camera in landscape orientation, or a palm support when holding in portrait orientation. This supports the lens against my wrist/palm when holding the camera by the lens, while allowing my fingers free movement to control the focus and zoom rings. Without the tripod ring support, all the weight is on the hand and you have little movement for focus/zoom control.

I'm glad to hear your "success story" from the PEN Ready giveaway. ;) And welcome to the forum!