1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Importing RAW plus edits?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bill Fowler, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Bill Fowler

Bill Fowler New to Mu-43

Aug 3, 2016
    Bill Fowler
    Hi to All. First time post with a question.

I really enjoy using my e-m10ii to shoot street photos in Monotone picture mode. I shoot in RAW only and edit in Lightroom CC. But when I import my images, I only get the ORF file, which of course doesn't give me the black and white version. Converting to B/W in LR adds another step to my workflow. Is there maybe an xmp file in the camera that I'm not importing? Not sure I understand how this works...

Thanks!
    Bill

2. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I think (correct me if I'm wrong, someone) if you shoot RAW+JPG when you are in Monotone mode you get the black and white JPG version as well as the full color RAW. Have you tried that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    The Raw is always the colour version because the sensor is a colour filter. I think, you could make a preset that is applied on import that switches your images to B&W straight away, but it will not look like the Olympus B&W you saw in the camera. If you want that you will also need to save the JPG like @WendyK@WendyK said.

4. Bill Fowler

Bill Fowler New to Mu-43

Aug 3, 2016
    Bill Fowler
    Thank you both for your kind replies. It sounds like it's pretty much as I suspected. I'll continue to convert to B/W in Lightroom. Presets have been a good starting point.

Really loving my new e-m10ii!

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,
    If you're a masochist, you can use the Oly viewer app, and it'll open the RAW and give you the same version as shot in camera.
    However, OV is a pain.

RAW+ JPEG is another option, but probably overkill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    In summary:
    • RAW is always color unless you're using a monochrome only camera (e.g. the Leica Monochrome,...)
    • No two different RAW processing engines will render the same, meaning that they can't share conversion settings. The settings for one processor will not yield the same results in another. The difference can be massive. There are only a few standardized conversion settings (color balance, ICM/ICC color profile, ...) that can be shared between differing processing engines.
    • Computer based RAW processors supplied by the camera manufacturers can be tuned to resemble the results of the in-camera processor, used to produce in-camera JPEGs, because they own the proprietary conversion code used in the camera. Other software manufactures can't unless they license code from the camera manufacturer and then their software will only work with that one series of cameras or will become massively bloated with multiple rendering code sections and possibly different UI for each camera.
    I suggest, at least for a while, shooting RAW+JPEG and checking the option pointed out by budeny. Use the JPEG as a "proof" and adjust the RAW in Lr to get the closest match. After doing this for a number of images check to see if your adjustments for the various images are reasonably similar. If so, pick a typical one and save the settings as a Lr Preset.

You can then have Lr apply this saved present during import (check out the import options in the right-hand column) and your images will automagically import as B&W using the Preset as a starting place. You can still tweek the adjustments on an image by image basis, but at least you'll be close initially. You can even delete the settings on the RAW or on a Virtual Copy to return to color.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bill Fowler

Bill Fowler New to Mu-43

Aug 3, 2016
    Bill Fowler
    Hah! I like easy. : )

9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Get Silver efex for B/W conversion - the whole Nik collection is free to download now.
    Google Nik Collection

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I almost always shot RAW + JPeg if I'm using any in camera effects. It just gives me more options for later. And just because you have options doesn't mean you have to use them.

11. Bill Fowler

Bill Fowler New to Mu-43

Aug 3, 2016
    Bill Fowler
    Thanks, Budeny. I have it and use it. Great tip!

12. Bill Fowler

Bill Fowler New to Mu-43

Aug 3, 2016
    Bill Fowler
    Thanks, David. I never thought jpg in addition to raw was necessary, but now I'm beginning to see the wisdom.

13. Bill Fowler

Bill Fowler New to Mu-43

Aug 3, 2016
    Bill Fowler
    Now that makes sense. Thanks.

14. Bill Fowler

Bill Fowler New to Mu-43

Aug 3, 2016
    Bill Fowler
    Very thoughtful suggestions. Thanks, you guys.

15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    And it's not just for filters and the like. You can do RAW plus small standard JPegs for on the go uploading.

16. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

With Olympus you don't even need to do that - you can take any RAW and do JPEG conversions in camera of just the ones you want before uploading.

17. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    True enough, I was just pointing out another reason shooting RAW + JPeg could be handy.