1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Importing pics to LR3, Scene mode pics.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by JIA333, Jun 25, 2012.

1. JIA333

JIA333 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    The Caribbean
    Yeidy
    Why do my pics taken with special modes upload just like a regular version? If I take a monochrome pic, it uploads in color etc.

What am I doing wrong? :eek:

2. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I thought the scene modes only work for JPEGs?

• Like Like x 1
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Exactly. Whatever mode you shoot (monochrome, pinhole art filter, etc.), the underlying RAW file is essentially the same. The sensor captures the same data, regardless of the scene setting. By choosing monochrome, all the camera does is add a note (EXIF tag) to the file indicating that the software should treat it as monochrome. But only the camera itself and the Olympus Viewer software are designed to handle that bit of information, so using anything else you will get a regular image.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If you shoot jpeg + raw you'll get a jpeg with the in-camera treatment plus the raw file in case you change your mind or didn't work out so well.

When I want b+w I shoot jpeg + raw to see b+w in the finder and have reference for working on the raw file.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Assuming you're shooting raw+jpeg, you can import the jpeg into LR, as well as the raw. The JPEG image will show up as B&W.

In LR, there's a check box in Edit \ Preferences \ General labeled "Treat JPEG Files next to raw as separate files." Checking this option will make LR import both the raw file (in color) and the jpeg (in B&W). Both will show up in the Library.

But I think you'll find you have many more options for converting the image to B&W in LR, and much more control.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JIA333

JIA333 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    The Caribbean
    Yeidy
    Thank you all so much! I shoot raw so that is the issue. Will install the Camera software and shoot JPEG + RAW