1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Importing Camera Settings

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by coastlineamps, May 16, 2013.

1. coastlineamps

coastlineamps Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 25, 2013
    Hello All,
    I tried to google this but no luck. I have a GH2 and I am trying to do figure out if there is some software that recognizes the camera settings for each image thast you shot and keep those settings when downloading the images.
    I am just trying to do some photo comparisons with different settings ot get more experience. Any help appreciated. Thanks

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    What settings are you looking at? Raw will ignore any type of "Scene" settings that are on there. Jpegs will be settings that are baked in.

3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

More info than is recorded in the exif data?

Depending on you OS there are tools or something as simple as inspecting the image file properties.

4. coastlineamps

Mar 25, 2013
    I am taking Raw images. Basically I like to see something in the image properties that shows ISO, SS, Apeture.

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    It does for EXIF data. Lightroom will show this for any native mount lens. There are other EXIF programs that let you edit and save changes, such as for legacy lenses which don't communicate. It will still save ISO, Camera, and Shutter, just not Aperture.

6. coastlineamps

Mar 25, 2013
    I ahve all native lenses so is Lightroom a good software? And do you know where in Lightroom I can see the properties?

7. RobWatson

8. coastlineamps

Mar 25, 2013
    Thanks so much. Will check it out tonight.

9. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    Exifpilot mentioned above is excellent and places itself in the right click context menu. Better yet is ExifGUI, which will give you more info including any offsets you have made to custom settings for WB, MyFilm, etc. You can also create a custom list of only the exif info you want to see.

ExifToolGUI

10. RobWatson

ExifPilot shows those adjustments in jpeg (and tiff) files as well. I wish there was a export tool as part of exifpilot ... then it would be perfect. Including exif, IPTC and XMP ... there is a lot of stuff in there! Raw files only have the exif data presented.

Even better would be a way to interpret the encoded info into something a human can read.

11. coastlineamps

Mar 25, 2013

The software looks great. I can see most of my settings. What about MTS files?

12. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    Video does not contain exif data, at least not in the same way as photographs. There is something called metadata for video. I demoed, some time ago, a program named DVMP Pro (DVMP Pro 5 - time stamp AVCHD, HDV, and DV video files), found it all too complicated, and realized I didn't really know what to do with the info it provided (or why I wanted it). For basic information ,I use properties in the file menu of Media Player Clasic-Home Cinema (Home – MPC-HC). <<--- This link works OK, I don't know why it looks like it does.

13. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    Edit: Ooops duplicated post.