Imported GX8 (Non-USA models) ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by SteveNunez, Mar 22, 2016.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Hey guys, I normally buy from B&H but the GX8 prices on eBay are hard to ignore at sub $800 while B&H is still at $997.99. The eBay GX8's are "imported"- is there any difference in functionality or video type with imported models?
    (NTSC ~ PAL?)

Love the new G7 but I need the IS of the GX8!
  2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Most imported Panasonic cameras's video are PAL not NTSC, it is no way to change from what I read.
  3. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
  4. afg08

afg08 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2015
    Not long ago I bought mine for $997 at B&H, got a $100 gift card plus a 4% rebate. I think they still have that. That gets it close to grey market pricing or even some used prices I've seen
  5. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    PAL or NTSC only refers to to video output from the camera, if you were to connect it to a TV, which isn't a big deal these days as pretty much every TV made supports both formats.
    What is different is the video recording frame rates, USA cameras will have 60/30/24 and imported cameras (depending on where they are sourced) will have 50/25/24. This has more to do with mains ac frequency than it does PAL/NTSC. If you shoot video under some types of artificial light you want the video frame rate to be a multiple of the mains frequency to avoid flicker (flourescent tubes are the absolute worst for this), and in the USA the mains frequency is 60Hz, hence the different frame rates.

I'm not sure there is a good reason for them not to allow all frame rates to be selectable (60/50/30/25/24) since if you travel you are bound to go somewhere where the mains frequency is different. And don't ask me how they get on in Japan where some of the country is 50Hz and some 60Hz - that's just nuts :)
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    This is my understanding as well, biggest issue is video in fluorescent light. So switch to LED bulbs. ;)

I've owned both a GM1 and GM5 that were imports with no issues. But those were relatively cheap bodies be comparison.
  7. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
  8. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Unless I have missed it, is there an issue with warranty and post-warranty service? Nikon, for example, will not touch gray market gear, even if you'd be willing to pay for it. They flatly refuse to work on it. Don't know what Panasonic's policy is, but check that angle if you're thinking of doing this.
  9. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Thanks for the info guys. As for repairs- there are tons of shops that will work on gray market cameras- so not too worried about that.
  10. Oruf

Oruf Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2015
    According to the official panasonic website, there is a one year international warranty. For most countries anyway, but you better check directly the website if you're not USA or EU resident.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app
  11. Shaw

Shaw New to Mu-43

Apr 12, 2014
    I live in UK (Scotland) and have just bought a GX8 from an official UK dealer, and PAL and NTSC are both selectable under TV connection/video out.