Important Panasonic/Olympus Joint Update

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Bokeh Diem, May 10, 2010.

1. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Joint update service for Four Thirds lenses | Digital Camera | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

Today they have announced a Joint Update service for Four Thirds lenses (including Micro Four Thirds lenses) for Panasonic camera body users, and provides a link to the page explains the same for Olympus camera body users, together with the Panasonic camera body’s firmware updates.

# Firmware updates for Panasonic camera body
    DMC-G1 Updated (May 10, 2010)
    DMC-GF1 Updated (May 10, 2010)
    DMC-GH1 Updated (May 10, 2010)
    # Firmware update for Panasonic lens
    # Firmware update for Four Thirds lens
    Olympus lenses
    SIGMA lenses

There are 4 cases of firmware update procedures depending on the combination of camera body and lens.

Bokeh Diem
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks Bokeh,
    rated and stuck the thread....
  3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I hate firmware updates, and have not do any since it made it impossible to use my 3d party accus.

Does anybody know what the updates bring in as advantages for the G1 and the 7-14 / 14-45 / 45-200 ?

C U
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SamSam

SamSam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    I tried the GF1 update for Mac and can't seem to open it.
  5. SamSam

SamSam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Must Copy Bin File Onto SD Card

I realized you only need to open the zip files into .bin files, which you then copy onto the sd card. I just did it and it worked fine. Will report on any problems I come across.
  6. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    I flashed my G1 this morning. No problems and it still works great.

Just download the zip file, extract to your SD card, put it in and hit the green/play arrow button. After the update, it's a good idea to delete the bin file from the card.

Don't know if it's just the light or what, but the focus seems a little faster with the 45-200. They don't always list all improvements in the change log. Could just be my imagination too.:eek::biggrin:
  7. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I tried to update my Panny lenses on my Pen 2 but it said nothing was available.
    Anyone else figure this out.
    Is the update for the Body only...
  8. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Unless I hear there's any huge advantage I'm not planning to update my G1. :smile:
  9. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    what version is your G1 on?

I bought my G1 used, and it's still on V1.0. I have not had time to update yet. :smile:

10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I updated both my G1 and GF1 without a hitch, and despite a warning about my SIDO brand batteries they work fine.

Flash I rarely use.

In terms of the actual improved AF with other 43 lenses it conferred no advantage in may case my PL f2.8/14-50 still does NOT AF on the G series
    (Strangely this lens does AF on the Oly Pen series) so there are fundamental differences in hardware between the G series and the Pens.

It has been said the G2 will AF older 43 lenses that will not on the G1/GF1, I don't see a G2 as an acquisition for me.

So somewhat of a HoHum update from the Panasonic giant:wink:
  11. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    I updated my GF1 from my mac, it worked fine.
  12. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    i might try & update the pana 45-200mm i just got for the e-p1
  13. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for the info. Updated the body and the lens in about 3 mins. Thanks
  14. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    I just tried to update - it recognised the 45-200mm needed update to 1.2 but then it told me it would not update with more than one lens attached to the caera & after removing them i should click OK
  15. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    i just truned everything off & now it appears to have worked - lens has gone form 1.0 to 1.2 - using mac os 10.6 & oly Master 2
  16. KEH

KEH New to Mu-43

Apr 18, 2010
    Thanks for the info.

This raises a very basic question - do you need to have a Panasonic body to update the firmware of a Panasonic lens? If so, then lens interchangeability on mu-43 is an issue, given the important role that firmware plays in the lenses.

Can anyone clarify this?

Many thanks,
  17. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    You should not need a Panasonic body to update but this brings up a very good question....
    I have some Panny, 14-45 & 20, lenses and don't know if the update is for them. I used a Pen 2 to connect and it said everything was up to date....
    I didn't mention it before cause I was to busy...but now, I'd like to know this answer...
  18. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    The Pany update was obviously for bodies only (except for the 40-200 lens). The 20 current fw level is still 1.1 on panasonic website. Only bodies are marked "updated" for may 2010.

Otherwise, olympus is pretty clear about updating panasonic lenses like its own via the updater software when a fw is released. I used it when I bought my 20 at fw level 1.0 to bring it to 1.1, and it was correctly detected and upgraded.
  19. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks Mauve,
    Things weren't to pretty around the shooter household.
    Actually I love updating fw....
    I'd buy another G1 just to do it....
    Thanks..... Greatly appreciated.
  20. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Not all of those items have been updated. For example the last Panasonic lens updates were in November 09 according to the Olympus Web site. I updated my 20mm lens back then and 1.1 is still the current firmware.