1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Important for Mac and Lightroom users!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Jul 26, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Preparing to upgrade to Mt. Lion, I was researching the steps. An article on MacWorld pointed to this article, to get a disk-space analysis tool:
    Byte breakdown | Macworld

I thought Grandperspective looked cool GrandPerspective so I downloaded it.

Grandperspective gives you a neat graphical representation of your largest files.

Here's mine: HDD_Screen_Shot.

See that HUGE block in the top right? That's iPhoto jpg library. I might have to rethink my iPhoto strategy. But see the three large yellow blocks below the red one? The largest is my LR 4 catalog. The next two largest are my LR3 and 2 catalogs. Still chewing up disk space to the tune of 3GB and 4 GB each. Then, the larger groupings of red and yellow blocks just to the left are something like 10GB of LR backups stretching back to 2009!

I also found 2 1/2 GB MTS file that LR had lost in it's temp files somehow. I don't store video in LR, but sometimes accidentally import them off my SD cards. This one got disconnected and was just chewing disk space.

The other thing I learned -- video, which I shoot too much of and almost never use or view, is pretty much the entire 1/4 of the left side in the diagram.

Any rate, thought this might help long time LR users. If you do find LR elements that are chewing up disk space, please Google search to see if you are OK with deleting them. Don't delete something and then blame me for it, lol. Be careful and research, but at least this gives you some things to look for.

• Like Like x 6
  2. TDP

TDP Guest

Pretty cool find. I think everyone should d/l it and post their results ;)

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    WOW! I just finished my cleanup and reclaimed 32GB!!!

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    That's a great heads up. I was planning to upgrade today or tomorrow. The problem we all face is the auto backups and temp files of this stuff can take up a lot of space. I just noticed yesterday that my 2TB drive is about 40% full. I need to go take a look and see if there's anything I can do to free up some space.

I run Clean my Mac regularly but it won't clear out unneeded backups and duplicate libraries (just jumped to LR4).

Thanks again.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    IPhoto is evil. Those files aren't jpegs anymore. They're one giant file which is the iPhoto database. Even if you export them as jpegs they're a copy, which means they've been resaved and recompressed two more times than the original.

Not to mention that you can't even move the database to a different drive.

Gordon

6. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What do people think of Lion?

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
  8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
  9. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mountain Lion I mean. lol

10. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    I think it's quite a nice improvement with the built in messaging and notifications.

11. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I upgraded for the Airplay feature...then found out my computer (from 2010) is too old to use it. sigh. I like the notifications though, and Safari seems quite a bit faster.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You can copy a jpg without recompressing it. You just copy the file. If you make edits, and renders a new compressed jpg with edits. If you store RAW, it renders off the RAW. I only use iPhoto for organization, sharing with my wife and some stuff like calendars and books. Not editing.

13. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Wow, thanks for posting about GrandPerspective! I found that a huge block of my 500 gb hard drive (~150 gb) was tied up with some movie files that I worked on for a friend in iMovie. I had no idea that they took up so much room!

They're the large copper blocks on the right!

before by foxtail_1, on Flickr

Now they're gone! The large blocks remaining are movies I've digitized — guess I should move them to a portable drive.

after by foxtail_1, on Flickr