1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Import files into LR taking forever

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by tkbslc, Mar 18, 2016.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm trying to get started with Lightroom. I'm doing an import without moving my files. I told it to import the whole folder structure for last year. I applied no presets or profiles, just the defaults. It's about 11,000 files. I'm only at 40% after 2 hours. I've got an i5 quad with 12GB of RAM and an SSD for the catalog. Is this normal? Man I have about 10 more years to go! :crying:

Another question I have is that if I move image files around on my HDD, will LR lose them?

2. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    There is a 6.x LR version that stuck if there are videos in the same folder or card during import. After the latest update it's solved.

Sent by HAL 9000

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    You'd be better off moving the files around inside lightroom. If you move them outside of lightroom, lightroom no longer knows where it is.

4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I'd highly recommend watching several tutorials before you get started doing anything. The extra preparation will make things much easier down the road. Julianne Kost and others have good videos on youtube and elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    One of the big things is how it renders previews. If it is set 1:1, it takes sometime for it to render and store.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    #1 - never move files yourself. Always "ask" Lr to move them for you (read: move the files using Lr's move functions). That way Lr can update its database to reference the new location.

#2 - putting the Catalog on an SSD helps, but when the actual image files are on an HDD it becomes the gating factor. Lr has to access each and every file individually reading their embedded metadata and reading the image data itself. The metadata gets written to Lr's database and the image data is used to generate a preview. The latter item can take a bit of time, particularly when Lr is configured to generate 1:1 previews. Lr saves the preview generation for a second pass through the image set. You can use Lr for other things while it generates previews in the background.

7. tkbslc

I hope that is it. I do have Videos mixed in most of my folders and I have ignored the update notification.

I didn't change anything, so if that is the default setting, that could be it.

I will make sure to read up on the move function, thanks.

While I know SSD are faster, they are only 2-3x faster for sequential reads, which is what LR is doing right now. So I'm still talking hours even on an SSD at this rate. Plus, I don't think I want to buy enough SSD to store my whole image archive!

8. tkbslc

Thank you! I think this was it. It took HOURS to finish those 11,000 files and it had errors and did not import any of the videos. I checked the settings and it only generated minimal previews and applied not presets, so it should have gone very fast.

I ran the update and re-imported the 2015 folder with only new files and it took 1 minutes to grab all the videos it previously had errors on. I then imported another folder with over 6000 files using standard previews and it took under 3 minutes to import and about 10 more to build the previews.

9. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    That's a lot of files. I would expect it to take many hours. Building previews and updating the catalog seem to a lot of time no matter where the files are. If the progress meter is moving your fine, but it will take many files to move the needle.

Fwiw, adding a USB3 card reader and importing to SSD did shorten my import times tremendously though. I import to and edit on SSD then when finished with a set of pictures I move them to NAS (from within LR of course).

10. tkbslc

I'm not too worried about adding my typical 200-300 photos from a photo outing, but I do have a USB 3 reader.

The problem is moving my last 10 years of photos into LR since I've never used it before. TBH, I'm getting really discouraged at the time and complexity involved. I said it took 10 minutes above to make the previews, but I was mistaken. It actually took hours again. Although before it took hours just to import, so I still think the patch helped there.

The frustrating part for me is that many other RAW editors and photo viewers do not need to generate previews or have lengthy import procedures to work. It's taken me 2-3 days of my free time (admittedly not watching the progress bar the whole time) to get 2 years worth of photos in there. And that's just the imports and previews. I still need to categorize, keyword and face tag them which is more hours.

Aside from the annoying import procedures, I also don't know about the fact that LR will never find any new files I add to those folders from other editors unless I manually start another import procedure. And I can never really manage my files and folders via the OS again.

I was getting a little excited about LR, but to be honest it is starting to feel like a giant PITA that will only get worse the more I get into it.

Sorry for unloading.....

11. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Ok not sure about the "won't find' question. I thought there was a mode and I experienced it once, where it would identify files not in its catalog and they'd appear on your library screen ghosted. I thought it could also watch specific folders, but I haven't tried to do that. Once you have LR up and are converted to it, why use anything else to do initial import?

Are you converting to DNG on import? That's obviously another processing step.

12. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    I have 10 years or more on Lightroom. I create a new catalog each year so it's smaller and easy to archive.
    It's quite easy to remember major facts and travels by year so if I have to find a picture of a specific event I can easily. Maybe it could be tricky if you want all photos of your wife of several years.

Sent by HAL 9000

13. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I would say that its strength is also its weakness.

The catalog gets you a lot of good stuff, like collections, keywords, and ratings stored in a real database for quick access. I find collections, in particular, to be very useful.

It takes time, however, to "import" (poor term, IMO) photos into the catalog, so a bulk transfer like you are doing is going to be painful. In addition, the catalog is a single-user thing that must be stored on a local hard drive. LR will not permit it to be used from a network drive.

The single-user thing is IMO the result of a bad design decision back in Olden Times when the application architecture was designed. The benefits and hassles of dealing with the catalog are intrinsic.

If/when Adobe attempts to force me into a subscription, I am expecting to switch to Alien's Exposure X. Their approach uses sidecar files instead of a single database. This pretty much solves the multiuser problem but at the cost of losing some of the nice things you can easily do with a database, like collections. I'm hoping that by the time I switch they will have developed more of a LR work-alike in this area.

14. tkbslc

I get that, It just feels frustratingly implemented

15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You can set LR not to create previews on import and that will speed up the process, but it will need to create a preview at some point if you plan on seeing or processing the image. And, you can manually tell LR to create previews when you want to. I would recommend reading The Starter Kit at lightroomforums.net . It is a great forum.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  16. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    The greatest software in the world is the stuff you just bought but have not yet installed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. tkbslc

Ain't that the truth!

I'm still using the trial, fortunately.

18. tkbslc

TBH, I barely even want Lightroom as a RAW processor. I am interested mainly for photo organization, tagging and face recognition. So I would not want to split my photos up like that. I intend to have everything I've ever shot in one catalog so I can call up random things.

19. I still use my own folder structures and use Windows Explorer to rename folders or move images if required. If you do move or rename a folder externally, from within Lightroom you only need to reassociate one of the images and all the others in that folder will follow.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    I understand. Maybe you have less photo than me and don't have the same problem. My ssd hd is just 512GB and my 2015 catalog is 150GB. My 2TB photo backup is quite full. I was thinking to split catalogs by subject or travel instead of year but that is more complicated.
    Just my 2cents. ;)

Sent by HAL 9000

• Like Like x 1