iMovie For Editing - Yeah or Nay?

Jiffster

New to Mu-43
Hey Folks,
First post here. I just ordered my first "real camera" (Lumix G85) and I'm looking forward to being active on this forum and seeking help from everyone!

Right now, the only video editing software I have is iMovie. I've done a few simple videos (editing) with iMovie but I never touched the editing tools for anything other than arranging clips, fading out and export/render.

When I was on a PC, I used Vegas Pro to edit some videos but that's been a long time. I'm hoping to avoid purchasing software right now - will iMovie produce good results?

Thanks!

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
iMovie is perfectly capable of producing great results from an image quality aspect, and it has all the tools you need to perform the fundamentals of editing.

You can import your raw footage, extract the clips you want to use, trim them, assemble them in an order and apply colour correction, transitions, adjust and add audio as well as titles, then easily output to a variety of platforms

Personally I use Final Cut just because I have it and it is better suited for more complex productions, but I would be happy putting together short videos with iMovie

K

PS Resolve is another way to go, but is much more daunting to use, and it probably overkill for most people.

Jiffster

New to Mu-43
Thanks for the advice folks. I’m going to dig into iMovie and give it a whirl. Might as well since I already have it.

Gillymaru

Mu-43 Top Veteran
iMovie is a great starting point for editing, it is easy to learn and gives great results. If you need to have more advanced features Final Cut has them and builds on your iMovie skills.
One other thing to consider is that Apple software tends to be optimised for performance so you may find it runs faster on your machine than other editing tools.

Real Name
Ian
Another iMovie user here, and if you're just getting started out then it's more than sufficient. Perfectly suitable for splicing together clips, adding titles & transitions, music, etc. It's obviously not as fully featured as Final Cut Pro X, but it's not all that bad either.

apekkpul

Mu-43 Rookie
iMovie is pretty good but I think it is missing one fundamental feature: it is not possible to rotate clips freely. I always need to rotate clips slightly (e.g. one or two degrees).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom