Immediate help needed about minolta lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Robert Watcher, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

I am hoping that someone on this forum has more experience than I do with Minolta lenses - - - I know nothing about them and want to know if the ones shown (50 and 28mm) in this ad will work with my Olympus E-PL1?

Excellent Minolta X700 film camera kit - London Cameras For Sale - Kijiji London Canada.

I AM LEAVING AT 4:30PM EST (about an hour and a half from the time of posting) - when I will be making the drive to London to do some other chores and maybe pick up this equipment - - - - unless the Minolta lenses are of NO USE on my E-PL1. By no use I mean don't provide the option of controlling the aperture and focus when attached using an adaptor (from China).

I am mainly interested in the Vivitar 285 flash. It is a bit more pricey than I want to pay for one - but if I can use the lenses, it may be worth it. SO THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP.

2. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    To use the lenses you are going to need an adaptor, and aperture and focus are strictly manual from the lens, with no electrical contacts to the body.

The listing and photo are not clear about the lens model, so I am not sure if they are worth the price if you are not going to use the camera body. I suppose the mount is MD, but you must check before getting an adaptor as there are two minolta mounts (the other is AF, now used by sony alpha).

I am not sure the flash is electrically compatible with the e-pl1.
    Hope this helps.

3. Robert Watcher

Thanks for replying Alf

As for the 285 - - - that is not for use on the E-PL1 - - - I already have several but require another one for a job this weekend. I know that I can probably purchase a 285 cheaper than the $100 - - - - but not on such quick notice and not locally.

So I just figured that if the Minolta lenses can be used, I would grab the bundle - - - otherwise probably not. I am only interested in manual focus and aperture control with the lenses. I have no clue on name designations or anything for Minolta products. Or if these are auto focus lenses, can they still be used manually with adaptor?

The main reason that I am curious before buying, is because I have become aware that some lenses such as Olympus' own (of which I have several for my E-3's) - provide no ability to adjust aperture or to manually focus the lens and cannot be used on my Pen. If the Minoltas are like that, then they are of no use to me. But if I can control those functions, just having a 50 (even if it's a 1.8) and a 28mm lens around to throw on and manually focus - wouldn't hurt me at all. (I already have adaptors for Nikon and cMount lenses - so just have to grab one for Minolta if these will work)

thanks again.

4. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    hi,
    check this, you might have your answer :

https://www.mu-43.com/f40/lens-mount-minolta-sr-7-a-3994/

Minolta SR mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    " Four design enhancements, all forwardly inclusive and backwardly compatible, are:
    SR - 1958-1966: Plain SR-bayonet featuring automatic diaphragm. Lenses are labelled Rokkor (pre-set) or Auto Rokkor (automatic diaphragm)
    MC - 1966-1977: Meter coupling added (often called MC mount) allowing full-aperture TTL measurement. Lenses are labelled MC Rokkor.
    MD - 1977-2001: MD lever added, which allows the reading of the smallest available aperture, often referred to as MD mount. Lenses are labelled MD or MD Rokkor (or MD Rokkor-X in North American markets.)
    X-600 - 1983-1998: X-600 mount reporting the maximum aperture of the lens to the camera body, which then engaged different auto focus confirmation sensors in the camera body.
    "

:)

5. Robert Watcher

Thank you. I am definitely more educated about Minolta now. :thumbup:

6. PeteMarshall

PeteMarshall Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Full database and reviews of Minolta MC/MD lenses here
    Quality lenses at a very good price. The glass is as good as old Nikon glass, the build quality very high. Work really well on M4:3.
    Don't bother with the later x-600 mounts its the manual lenses you want.