Ime having a weak moment

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Got fed up of the G9 not locking on for BIF, ok it does sometimes but misses more than it should, its a great camera and a like the results but not for action.
Decided enough was enough so off to my LCS i go to buy a Nikon D500, would you believe there is a shortage in the UK and he has sold the next two he gets in.
Came out with his demo EM1MK11 on loan for a week, i have had one before and feel sure it was better for BIF so it will be interesting to see.
When i return it I can have his demo D500 for a week so looking forward to that.

Real Name
Ian
Make sure to update the E-M1 II's FW to 3.0.

I doubt you'll be disappointed in the performance of the D500, although coming from a mirrorless camera, shooting a DSLR will take a bit of "getting used to" (and there are things I do miss while using it, primarily a histogram in the viewfinder and being able to review images in the EVF vs. LCD).

But, if your main driver is performance, then the D500 is hard to beat. What glass will you be using with the Nikon?

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Make sure to update the E-M1 II's FW to 3.0.

I doubt you'll be disappointed in the performance of the D500, although coming from a mirrorless camera, shooting a DSLR will take a bit of "getting used to" (and there are things I do miss while using it, primarily a histogram in the viewfinder and being able to review images in the EVF vs. LCD).

But, if your main driver is performance, then the D500 is hard to beat. What glass will you be using with the Nikon?
I have owned both the Olympus and the Nikon in the past, the problem for me with the Nikon is the weight, it would have to be the Sigma 100-400 lens, which leaves it a bit short.

Real Name
Ian
I have owned both the Olympus and the Nikon in the past, the problem for me with the Nikon is the weight, it would have to be the Sigma 100-400 lens, which leaves it a bit short.
So you’ve owned a D500 before and sold it?

What caused you to sell it? What makes you think things will be better the second time around?

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So you’ve owned a D500 before and sold it?

What caused you to sell it? What makes you think things will be better the second time around?
Not expecting any difference to last time but thinking i may have to put up with it, the D500 was perfect apart from having to use the 100-400, i wanted more pixels on subject than i was often left with after cropping.
My ability to chase and get close to my subject is very limited now, so a 800mm fov instead of 600mm was tempting and worked, thats why i am giving the Olympus another try first.

Real Name
Ian
Not expecting any difference to last time but thinking i may have to put up with it, the D500 was perfect apart from having to use the 100-400, i wanted more pixels on subject than i was often left with after cropping.
My ability to chase and get close to my subject is very limited now, so a 800mm fov instead of 600mm was tempting and worked, thats why i am giving the Olympus another try first.
Got it. Getting beyond 600mm of reach in a package that's still somewhat small is challenging, and definitely an area where m43 has an advantage with both the PL 100-400 as well as the 300/4 PRO + TC.

You could go for a 200-500 for the Nikon, which would put you at 750mm of reach, but I'm not sure the size & weight would be worth it for an extra 150mm of reach.

I hope you're able to find a camera that comes close to ticking all of your boxes!

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well the Olympus does lock onfocus better and this is with version 2.1 firmware, i dont have a cable to update with and as its not my camera not risking anything else.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nick779

Mu-43 Regular
I can sympathize with your thoughts. Im going through a bit of that with my EM1.2, but I havent extensively tested FW 3.0 either.

I love my Olympus kit for the size and weight, however I cant help but be drawn to a mixed Nikon kit of a Z6 + 24-70F4, 50F1.8, 70-300 and a D500 + 200-500F5.6 for wildlife/panning/action. I think I partly just want to experience a different system as im not really trying to solve a "serious" problem. I have 90% of what I currently need, but about 70% of what I want in terms of performance.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
I can sympathize with your thoughts. Im going through a bit of that with my EM1.2, but I havent extensively tested FW 3.0 either.

I love my Olympus kit for the size and weight, however I cant help but be drawn to a mixed Nikon kit of a Z6 + 24-70F4, 50F1.8, 70-300 and a D500 + 200-500F5.6 for wildlife/panning/action. I think I partly just want to experience a different system as im not really trying to solve a "serious" problem. I have 90% of what I currently need, but about 70% of what I want in terms of performance.
You may have to run TWO systems, like I do.
Like others, I found that the EM1-mk1 did not do fast sports (football, soccer, basketball, volleyball) well, the way I shoot.
For me it was the EVF that was the problem. So for fast sports, I still use my D7200 with it's optical viewfinder.

I can't test the EM1-mk2 until fall sports starts up in late Aug.

I understand that the EM1X may have solved the issues I had with the EM1-mk1.

But even running two systems, I drew the line at long lenses on the DX system. The longest standard lens that I have and will buy for my D7200 is a x-300mm lens. Anything longer is too bulky and heavy for this old man to lug around for hours. That is where the 75-300 on the m4/3 comes in and shines. Long reach in a kit that I can carry for hours.

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have to say the EM1MK11 is impressing me, come on Panasonic swallow your pride and give us Phase detect focusing.

I am pretty sure my G9 would not have caught this

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Definitely not, I have the same experience.
It actually caught four images but i only kept two that one and this one.

Davidof_CR

Mu-43 Regular
There is allways a bit of unsharpness when I compare my BIF photos taken with G9 and EM1x. Same hands, slight edge for the x :)

My G9 best

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well the Olympus does lock onfocus better and this is with version 2.1 firmware, i dont have a cable to update with and as its not my camera not risking anything else.
It's actually much less risky to update via sd card, although it's not advertised by Olympus nor even acknowledged as a possibility. But using a SD card prevents bricking the camera from a power or internet outage, and allows to downgrade the f/w should something bad arise, which the online method doesn't do.

see here : Olympus firmware update tool

M.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom