1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Imaging Resource Olympus Interview

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sriracha, Mar 7, 2016.

1. sriracha

sriracha ballistic photons

Jan 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They mentioned that they are also going to focus on compact lenses, not just pro primes. I'm really quite curious what's left in that space to cover (BCLs aside). Competition for the 14/20 pancakes? Updated 17mm pancake? Updated 45mm with snap focus ring? A small 50-200 f/4-5.6? A decent 8-16mm f/4 that takes filters?

3. sriracha

Jan 22, 2011
    perhaps they are going to follow Panasonic's GM product model for small body + lens?

I wish the author would have followed up on their management team's reason for determining the importance of their consumer imaging business and its future trajectory.

4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Maybe they're assuming that Pen-F will be a big success, maybe there is a less expensive version to be released someday. PEN then becomes a major part of their future and they think they need a new line of compact, low profile, lightweight lenses to go with it. An Oly, fast focusing 20,1.7 as example.

who knows. A lot riding on the e-m1 mk2 for me. Hope it's a home run.

5. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    All options sound good to me - I think it is great that they want to focus on being compact. This basically gives us the option to go "big" and pro or small and compact what ever the situation requires.

6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    SLR market down 8%, mirrorless up 9%. You'd think Canon and Nikon are desperate to release a viable mirrorless DSLR offering.

There have to be some announcements soon, don't you think?

A mirrorless camera that provides full functionality with current canon/Nikon lens infrastructure would be a game changer. Hard to believe it's taking so long.

7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I always hear this. The Nikon 1 will use, with full functionality, Nikon f-mount lenses. Yes, it requires an adapter. But any mirrorless using non-mirrorless lenses will need an adapter.

8. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Yea but Nikon 1 isn't "the" camera. A Nikon D820 for instance, mirrorless, more compact and with an official Nikon, weather-sealed adapter would finally compete with a7r2...or a7r9 that will probably be out by then.

9. sriracha

Jan 22, 2011
    a SLR market down 8% is still heck of a lot bigger than a mirrorless market up 9%... not much incentive for either Canon or Nikon to heavily invest until mirrorless is around 10% of SLR

sent from Tapatalk

10. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    That's not really the case. Shareholder value, growth, margin are what's important, not comparative volume. Canon's stock has declined in value ~18% Over the last 3 years with the decline steepening. The most optimistic analyst rating is "HOLD". That's a recipe for CEO firings and major problems. The market is anticipating a next big thing and will soon switch to "SELL" if something doesn't change soon.

Canon and Nikon are in serious trouble. Believe it or not.

But let's not hijack this thread away from its primary topic - Olympus' direction.

11. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    @wjiang@wjiang
    All primes "mkII" with snap focus-rings would be excellent!
    And pro primes on the side, with weather, dust and -10.

12. sriracha

Jan 22, 2011
    the story here is for the industry and just as much for Olympus.

for a product company, growth in sales volume is critically important as are margins. even more so for companies like Olympus with high fixed costs to hurdle over... and i think this explains the shift towards high(er) value products. regardless, Olympus is not the poster child of an imaging business to invest in. with a five year -5% CAGR in sales, even their own management team almost came to the same conclusion.

as for stock, Canon, Nikon, and Olympus (in my opinion) would be valued differently. Olympus is likely valued as a highly leveraged medical equipment company since their consumer imaging business drove zero value to equity for over five years. or put it another way, if all other business units were profitable, the consumer imaging business would actually be a drag on stock price. Canon and Nikon's stock value will have a bit of the camera market priced in... and like you said, Wall St. is not overly positive about this particular industry as it currently stands.

with that in mind, here is the decision i think Olympus (and the industry overall) concluded:
    - high(er) volume / low margin products (point and shoot) - concede to smartphones
    - med volume / med margin products (1" sensor, entry level mirrorless) - maintain customers
    - low(er) volume / high margin products (enthusiast products) - increase customers

my guess is that most of the products will see a higher price tag than before. the original theory of "smaller, thus cheaper" no longer holds true as the market now is drastically different than the mid 2000s.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. BrundleFly

BrundleFly Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Ontario
    I get the impression that Olympus is going to focus on the high end as well. As much as I'm excited to see high end primes I'm worried that Olympus may end up pricing the m43 format out of a particular niche. Size advantage can only get you so far once your products begin to reach the same price point of a full frame equivalent.

14. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I'm hoping for an improved PEN PM3 model.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. kiwirobfinland

kiwirobfinland Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    rob
    0 that is how many euros i have spent on olympus in the last year and four months.
    I ordered a €2800 lens two months ago and its still not here.
    When you can not deliver products to paying customers that is not a good sign
    for health of your business.
    How long will the f1.2 lens take.
    In two three years from now you might be able to preorder them.
    i am not convied that they on the right track with only big and picey gear
    my wife all so uses and buys cameras and none of what they have made in the last few years has made
    her spend any money new epm3 please small fun primes that dont cost the earth please
    most of the time olympus seem to be stabbing in the dark with new products some time they hit most the time they miss
    their customer feed back seems to be awful

16. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Sigma SA doesn't.