Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Rider, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Lately, I'm finding reviews to be much more informative and better written than In particular, when I go to the pros/cons/summary section of the review, I find that they mention detailed things that I actually care about that DPreview, despite the tons of data they gather, seem to miss altogether. I am not associated in any way with either of them, but just wanted to share my impressions.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    IMO DPR reviews are coming more from a gear perspective in terms of camera features and technologies rather than a photographer's point of view. DPR is also funded by Amazon, so their primary purpose is to drive sales of cameras and camera gear. They each have their place. It's best to look at a number of different sources of information when making a camera purchasing decision.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Rider, I agree. Imaging Resource has more timely reviews, a more comprehensive lens review section (SLRGear), put up sample RAW files for download (critical component of any review IMO and sadly lacking on DPR), present much more useful image quality comparisons, and are just plain more insightful.

DPR has the fancy presentation and a lot of lip service about the rigorousness of their testing, but it seems to me that IR leapfrogged them some time ago.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I agree.

I've also found that dpreview sometimes slips personally biasness into their review, whereas IR's seems more impartial.
  5. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I jumped in and read the E-PL1 review here

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Digital Camera - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!

I must admit being a DPR fan

Having read the above review I was left with the impression the the E-PL1 is rather better than given credit for

Look at the ISO 100/300 comparison with 4 other cameras (taken with the zuiko 50mm macro for m43 and the Sigma 70mm for the APS cameras
    The results for the E-PL1 are really excellent and it is a great camera
    only falling down with the P&S 4 way controls and the slightly less IBIS performance compared to a E-P2

This camera needs a more sexy body and thumbwheel controls but then Oly wants you to buy the E-P2, they cost cut on the E-PL1 ans every dollar saved in production cuts the retail price quite alot
    • Like Like x 1