Images on the Mac

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by BillN, Mar 30, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I need a little help with images on the Mac - I seem to have the same images in different places - or is it just an illusion

I click the Macintosh HD icon

When I look in PLACES (bill) and Pictures - they are there

then if I SEARCH FOR - All images - I get them

but what is the difference with the way Mac uses the words Pictures and Images

Then in Iphoto - some are there

Then I have LR - which knows where they are but if I move them does not

Now on the PC it was easy - I had a partition on my hard drive called IMAGES - I stuffed all images in there - sometimes I would create sub folders- I then had a simple back up system that backed up that partition

How do you guys manage your images on the Mac?

all advice gratefully received

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Bill,
    I have 2 external 1T hard drives for photos.
    I put all in the 1st one and LR reads from there.
    No moving that way. The 2nd is a back up mirror of the 1st.
    IPhoto will store it's photos in the pictures folder. I don't use Iphoto.
    The picture folder is accessable for any application.
    You can change the default target folder to where you want but the picture folder sees all and copies to it.
    I dump photots out of there on occasion to clear it out.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks Don - that's pretty clear and simple way to manage images

I seem to have lost a load yesterday, trying to get them into just one place

they are not in the Trash

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

I'm sure you've used The Finder to search for the files, right?

5. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I put my jpgs into iphoto and my RAW files into a separate folders I create in the pictures folder that I can access with Lightroom or Aperture. I also have multiple hard drives that I copy both RAW and JPGs to. A files is not safe unless there are 2-3 copies of it.

6. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Bill -

All great advice.....and it's just like on a PC......create a location, whether it be a partition (probably too late for that if you are just on your iMac's single 640 drive) or a folder......or two. Transfer your photo's manually in your folders using Finder.

Then point iPhoto or LR to where they are (don't let the programs move 'em).

And Streetshooter is ABSOLUTELY right.......back everything up to an external.

R

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Rich, I thank you kind sir!
    I will show my wife this thread so she can see 1 person on The LORDS green earth thinks I'm right about something....

• Like Like x 2
  8. Hi, far fro experienced photography or Mac type. But here is what I do every couple of months: I run Disc Inventory X to see what files are taking of disk space. I have found an Aperture library duplicated taking up 32 gigs os space.
    The I do searches in Spotlight on each of the file types for pictures. The searches are individual for .img, .tiff, .jpeg, .jpg, .gif, .X3F, .NEF and .ORF . Then I click show all and review all the pictures in each search term. Many surprises there especially on .jpg and .jpeg. Stuff I did nt know was there as in things I threw out and pictures from emails. Just thought maybe I need to search on the Adobe format also.

Reason for all of the above is I am retired and occupying time with busy work.

9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I've just been importing files straight into the Aperture library, backing it up both locally and to an online service (so it would take a hell of a global catastrophe before I'd lose ALL copies - at which point that would probably be the least of my problems). But as I get more and more images in there and possibly add a laptop to the arsenal SOME day, I can see that just letting Aperture handle the organization may not be my best bet, so I'm thinking of importing future images into a set of folders and then just pointing Aperture to them, rather than keep them in Aperture's library. Would likely also make it easier to deal with some sort of switch in the future if something better than Aperture comes along or Aperture changes its way of doing things. I should probably split the files I have in Aperture already out into separate folders, but I'm a bit daunted by the thought of the task. Probably wouldn't be too bad once I actually started doing it, but I'm not there yet. So far, Aperture's done a good enough job of keeping everything safe and well organized, but I can see limitations with that approach down the line.

-Ray

10. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Running Aperture from an External Drive.

Since I've put a smaller drive in my macbook pro going from a 500GB to a 120GB SSD I've got not much room for RAW photos.

I'm not sure if my scenario will help you at all but it's another option. But it might help someone else who doesn't have much room on their computer drive. I found it out more by accident.

1 I installed Aperture on my Laptop ( new drive, new OS)

2 I put my 500GB drive in a USB drive caddy (which makes it an external drive) This has my whole OS on it and everything I had previously.

3 Plugged my now external drive in my laptop. It comes up as another drive on my desktop. I clicked around until I came upto 'users' and then into 'pictures'. The cool part is that when I clicked on the Aperture Library it opens up from the Aperture on my macbook. iphoto works the same.

So since this cool revelation, whenever I import images I plug in my drive and everything gets stored on there without me having to set up anything. I process my images, convert them to jpeg and import the selected ones into iphoto on my laptop. I use iphoto for showing off the pictures because it runs faster than Aperture. So all my stuff gets fiddled around on the external drive and doesn't stuff up my laptop.

I know your thinking that how on earth am i going to get an Aperture or iphoto library on an external drive. That easy. Open up Aperture, and click on file and go to switch to new library and then you can make up a new one and set it so it reads from your external disk.

I'm not sure whether this will help anyone but I've put down my experience and it works really well.

11. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Where are you seeing 'PLACES'? That would only be an option within iPhoto or Aperture, it's not an option in Finder?