1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Images not saved with same filename in OIS if files are moved

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Pooschey, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Pooschey

Pooschey New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2015
    I'm new to m4/3, having been a Sony user since the A350 days to my current A7 II. I got an E-PL7 as I wanted an even smaller package on days when I feel lazy. And I'm loving the system, except for this niggle.

I like to transfer images after shooting to share. However, the OIS will only allow files to be saved to the internal memory of the phone. To prevent running out of space, I will move my images to my SD card after transfer, like I've been doing with Sony's PlayMemories. However, I've found that once I do that, the next time a transfer from camera to phone, the filenames of the images transferred are renamed from xxx1 again. It does not transfer images retaining the filenames intact. I've checked settings in camera to Auto, not reset.

How do I transfer the images to my phone, move them to SD card and not have images replaced when I next move new images over?

This is driving me crazy.

2. Pooschey

Pooschey New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2015
    Anybody can help a newbie here? Thanks.

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Save them to iCloud.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Or rename them on your computer.

5. Pooschey

Pooschey New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2015
    I don't use iPhone. I'm using Android. But I still don't see how this helps as images still have to be transferred via OIS.

I want to transfer the images to my Z2 and share from there.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Oh, the OP did say OIS, I was thinking iOS. Sorry. As to OIS, I stopped using that software so I can't help here.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  7. Pooschey

Pooschey New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2015
    So nobody uses the wireless transfer?

8. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I do, but I leave the transferred photos in the internal memory until I don't need them any more, so I don't really have this specific issue (although generally speaking I would prefer if OI Share left the file names as they are in the camera, or at least an obvious derivative).

What happens if you leave a copy of just the last image transferred in internal memory? Say that is xxx00030, would OI Share start the next transfer from xxx0031, or would it go back to xxx00001?

9. Pooschey

Pooschey New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2015
    Good question, as I've never done that before. Guess it'll still start from 00001.
    I really don't understand why Olympus is doing that. Why not just keep the camera filename? If the app allows saving to SD, that's fine, but it doesn't. With PlayMemories, I just move images from phone to SD and the next time I transfer images over, it'll just copy the images with filenames intact. This also applies me to track my images. Imagine having N numbers of xxx00001 files!