Image with flare. EP5 or 17mm 1.8 issue?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by wilefool, Oct 6, 2013.

1. wilefool

wilefool New to Mu-43

Sep 23, 2013
    Hi, i was shooting around and found this flare on the sky due to the bright light source from the building.

Anyone had this before? I am using EP5 with 17mm 1.8 lens (no filter on), which is the cause of it?

Attached Files:

2. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    i'd say is the lens if I recall from some review I read on it.
  3. wilefool

wilefool New to Mu-43

Sep 23, 2013
    Did I got a bad copy of the 17mm? Or all of them are like this?
  4. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Isn't that a minor version of the flare folks complain about with the 7-14? Honestly, assuming you used a hood, I get the sense that in both cases (with the 7-14 and with the 17) the flare is more of an issue with sensor design choices in cameras using the Sony-sourced sensor rather than attributable to the lens design. I'd be interested if someone with more of a physics background could corroborate or refute this thought.
  5. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    It’s the lens

You didn’t get a bad copy, they’re all like that, you’ll have to move your feet to a position where the flare doesn’t occur.

And apologies for slightly veering on to another subject, but I believe this is an example that despite the classic 35mm focal length and rangefinder feature as well as faster autofocus, the end product image of the Oly lens just isn't as good as the Panasonic 20. The crown for an excellent auto focus 35mm equivalent in the M43 world is still there for the taking.
  6. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Using or not using a hood has nothing to do with this type of flaw. One, this isn't true flair and, two, it is the result of a light source in the picture rather than outside of the image where a hood might have some effect.

This is neither a uniquely lens issue nor a uniquely body/sensor issue. It is, instead, the result of an interaction between the two. The light forming the flaw has to reflect off of the sensor assembly and then off of the lens' rear element or some internal surface to get back to the sensor.
  7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Looks like you're also behind a window?
  8. wilefool

wilefool New to Mu-43

Sep 23, 2013
  9. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    That's NOT flare! You've capture the elusive Green Pixies in flight. That's a very rare photo!
    • Like Like x 1