Image Stabilization Setting for Manual Focus Lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by beameup, Dec 1, 2013.

1. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I have never had to use Image Stabilization, but want to use it with my new E-M1 on my OM 50mm f/1.8 lens (as well as the 15mm BCL).
    What setting should I set in Image Stabilization "focal length" - the actual focal length of the lens, or double the focal length?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The actual,15 mm for the BCL and 50 mm for the OM.

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Focal length is focal length, so yes set it to the closest you can to the adapted lens.

Zooms are a pain! Because you have to reset the IS each time you zoom.

From all the testing I have done with my BCL I have found all the IS does is make noise. It bet it works better on the E-M1 than my PENs however.

4. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    Thanks. My 40-150mm 4/3rds has 80mm-300mm on the side, which makes it confusing (I guess that's the FF/35mm "equivalent" in focal length).
    So, on any old manual focus film lenses I will be using their actual focal length for the setting.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Why they{camera companies} think we can't figure out the math ourselves is insulting. Worse is that unless you came from the old school of 135 film it really doesn't matter and can be confusing. Fuji has taken this idea to the most ridiculous level. On their X10/X20 cameras the lens is marked in FF equivalents rather than actual focal lengths. Nice to a certain degree for us who shoot film but just mind boggling to everybody else.

6. fluberman

fluberman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    Indonesia
    Alex
    I don't think you need to set the IS for any 4/3 lenses, they can communicate with the camera (assuming you use an adapter with electronic contacts such as MMF-1,2,3).

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

[edited because I misread something]

We use it freely in discussion because you simply can't undo decades of 135 film influence. All the newer stuff I have from MFT olympus and panasonic do not have equiv indicators.

As already stated... focal length is focal length regardless of format. Set it as is.