1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Image stabilization EPM1 users: do you use it?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Adobres, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    Do you use the image stab. on your epm1? does it lower the IQ at all? do you find it makes much of a difference?

Thanks!

2. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    I mainly use it on 14mm . SO I mostly turn it off and I turn it on when I need to use it indoors
    just in case. perhaps this may be fix with future firmware upgrade.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    At very low shutter speeds (< 1/20s), it's quite effective, so I leave it on.

At middling shutter speeds (1/20s to 1/100s) it seems variable, so I keep it off.

At high shutter speeds (>1/100s) I generally find it either has no benefit or makes things worse, so it stays off.

It also depends a bit on the focal lengths you shoot at. If you do long telephoto shots (100mm+) it may make more sense at intermediate and higher shutter speeds.

DH

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I my testing, it helps in low ss, but doesn't help, and may even degrade IQ, in higher ss.

But, having read this, I went and did some testing with the 45-200 OIS (IBIS off) and also my former EP2, and noticed a degredation in IQ when IS was used at fast shutter speeds. Personally, I'm beginning to believe IS should be off EXCEPT when you need it.

Others might disagree, but that's my experience in recent testing.

5. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I'm curious as to why this issue still has yet to be addressed. Hasn't it been around since the days of E-P1?

6. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    Turn it off if using a tripod. You didn't mention if you were or not.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    To some extent, but the E-PM1 and E-PL3 seem to be much touchier than the older models. My theory is that it is in some fashion linked to the new shutter mechanism in the E-PM1/E-PL3.

DH