Image Stabilization - A Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tgmosher, Jul 7, 2012.

1. tgmosher

tgmosher New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Ok, this might be a stupid question, but it got me wondering.

How would an image be affected if you used an Olympus body with a Panasonic lens and had both the body and lens stabilization systems operating?

Would they complement, fight, or cancel each other?
  2. michaeln

michaeln Guest

I think it would probably launch you into a parallel universe, never to return.
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    All three, depending on the exact details of the movement. Possibly all at once. Basically the results could be anything -- but my experience is that it's distinctly on the bad side of the scale.
  4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    They would fight. You basically have to turn one off, or their bickering (with each trying to correct for each adjustment made by the other) will make it much more difficult to take a good shot.
  5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Isn't it about time Oly cameras warned the user that two IS systems were in use at the same time and to turn one off.

Or is that an over simplification.
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    With the IBIS preview available on the E-M5 you can see the effect of having both IS systems activated. With an unstabilised lens you can shake the camera body and the image stays remarkably still. With an OIS lens mounted the image will jump randomly when you try the same trick.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    No. Neither one knows about the corrections of the other at all. Both respond only to camera motion, independently. Neither knows anything about the other, and doesn't "try to correct for the adjustment made by the other."

The results likely will be bad, however, as the combination of the two will almost certainly overcorrect for the motion.