image stabilisation

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by XR1505, Apr 18, 2017.

1. XR1505

XR1505 New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2016
    Jersey
    Looking for some answers on lens stabilisation and the Em5 mk2

First does the oly 12-100 stabilisation sync with the EM5 mk2 and if so what setting are needed or is it automatic

Second Does the panny 100-400 stabilisation sync with EM1 mk2 as I've read that it does on one site and that it doesn't on another

Thanks for any help in advance

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    No idea about the EM5.

Sync IS as Olympus calls it or Dual IS as Panasonic calls it, is not compatible between brands.

3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    1. Yes, EM5 II supports Sync-IS. So it will work very well with the 12-100. (Also E-M1 I, E-M1 II and Pen-F.)
    2. No. But you can use that lens with all the Olympus cameras using either OIS (IS in the lens) or IBIS (IS in the body) as you wish.

4. XR1505

XR1505 New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2016
    Jersey
    Hi Growltiger

Thanks for the info, does the EM5 mk2 automatically sync-IS or do i have to set it up?

5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Automatic.

6. XR1505

XR1505 New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2016
    Jersey
    Thanks, your help is much appreciated

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would also add that Sync-IS is only adding an extra stop of stabilization on top of an already amazing 5 stops. That alone allows for ridiculous shutter speeds. So I wouldn't sweat it too much unless you are already taking a lot of shots at 1/2 second. For 99.9% of shots most of us take, it just isn't going to be a factor.

8. XR1505

XR1505 New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2016
    Jersey
    Thanks tkbsic, Im not as steady as i used to be so just wanted confirmation that I was getting every bit of help my camera and lens has to offer. I have been looking everywhere for info but couldn't find any so to MU-43 for the answer. (could have saved a lot of time coming straight here)

9. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

No kidding!

I was shooting macro with an OM Zuiko 135mm ƒ4.5 macro lens on a bellows, at about 1:1.5 magnification ratio — that's 270mm equivalent, in terms of camera motion. And I was doing it at ƒ8. Hand-held!

I could not have done that with my old E-3. As good as it's IBIS was, it was only good for about three stops.

I am blown away at how good Olympus's IBIS is, even without the help of in-lens IS.

10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can respect that, but you only need enough to get the shot. And that's typically the only 1/EFL rule. If you are unsteady, then round that up to 2/EFL. That means for a 25mm lens, you should be able to handhold it at 1/100 in the worst of cases without image stabilization. But the in camera IBIS on the latest Olympus is good for 5 stops. 5 stops from 1/100 is 1/3! That's so slow for most subjects. If you have anything moving at all, or a light breeze, or anything, you are going to get massive motion blur from the subject, not the camera. stabilization cannot help you with that. You have to raise the shutter speed. For portraits, you end up needing 1/60+ anyway, so that's only 1-2 stops of IBIS at normal portrait focal lengths. Even my old crummy 2.5 stop Panasonic can do that. For sports, you need 1/500+ and stabilization is irrelevant.

Now that extra stop of stabilization with Sync IS would take the above from 1/3 to 1/1.5. I just can't fathom very many situations where you need to be at 1/1.5 and you can't make 1/3 work.

I guess I'm just saying don't get too carried away with feeling like you need to limit your gear around features like that. They are nice bonuses, but you won't

11. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I think Sync-IS would be most useful with long focal lengths -- 300mm and with a 1.4x teleconverter. At those extremes, you can choose a lower ISO and have enough fast shutter speed to shoot a bald eagle perching on a tree. This shot was taken with my older Olympus E-5 with a Zuiko 70-300mm @ approx 270mm, but wish I had SYNC-IS (a E-M5 II and a 300mm f/4). But I don't this stuff a lot so just can't justify the cost..

iona20172.

• Like Like x 2