Image stabilisation question

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by MackThePen, Mar 12, 2011.

1. MackThePen

MackThePen Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2011
    SW Scotland
    Does the Panasonic lens based image stabilisation work when the lenses are mounted on Olympus bodies? If they do, which gives the better results (lens or body stabilisation), if either, and are there any other considerations to consider when choosing between the two?

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Actually I used both IS systems on my Pens. It worked fine. If you do a tripod, turn IS off...
  3. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Wow, I never thought of using an IS-lens on an Olympus body. I just figured it wouldn't work. Thanks for asking that question!
  4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I also use both at the same time. Mainly because I'm too lazy to turn off the inbuilt is when I mount a panny lens.

5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Lens-based is nice because you see the effect on the LCD. I don't believe the Olympus sensor-based IS works well as the dedicated lens-based IS on my Canon EF/EFS lenses. Haven't tried an OIS m4/3 Panny lens.
  6. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    I've used Panasonic lenses (with built-in IS) on E-P1 and E-PL1 and all worked great, with the exception of focus speed, which appears to be a little slower on Olympus bodies with Panasonic lenses. If you're going to use lens IS, make sure to turn off the IBIS, otherwise you'll get blurry shots, at least that's been my experience.

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Why do we need to turn IS off when using tripod? I though IS1 is automatic IS?
  8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

One advantage

When using the Panasonic lens on a Panasonic camera you gain the advantage of having Mode 2 and on some cameras Mode 3. When used on the Olympus, you only get Mode 1.
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Canon used to recommend this with their early IS lenses, although I don't think there is an issue with more modern iterations of their Image Stabilzer which are smart enough to detect when the lens mounted solidly on a tripod. I think the theory was that IS system was designed to cope with constant movement which occurs with even the steadiest hands. When mounted on a tripod the lens almost perfectly still the IS unit is still attempting to 'correct' movement when there is none, therefore is actually creating movement. This was an explanation I had found from a Canon representative;

“The IS mechanism operates by correcting shake. When there is no shake, or when the level of shake is below the threshold of the system’s detection capability, use of the IS feature may actually *add* unwanted blur to the photograph, therefore you should shut it off in this situation. Remember that the IS lens group is normally locked into place. When the IS function is active, the IS lens group is unlocked so it can be moved by the electromagnetic coil surrounding the elements. When there’s not enough motion for the IS system to detect, the result can sometimes be a sort of electronic ‘feedback loop,’ somewhat analogous to the ringing noise of an audio feedback loop we’re all familiar with. As a result, the IS lens group might move while the lens is on a tripod, unless the IS function is switched off and the IS lens group is locked into place.”

I haven't seen any recommendations from Olympus or Panasonic on how their systems operate and if they do/did have similar issues, but there is obviously no reason to have IS turned on when your camera is mounted solidly on a tripod.
  10. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    My E-P1 makes a quiet IS rumbling noise when on a longish exposure on a tripod. This can only mean that it's moving the sensor a little, which isn't usually what I want.