1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Image Share App not working after Android Update

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Edsiajb, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Edsiajb

Edsiajb Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    My Olympus Image Share app was working fine until my Galaxy S4 was updated to Android 4.3 - now the app will not connect to my E-M1.

I have tried every generic fix I can think of (like remove and re-install the app).

Is anyone else having this issue?

2. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah, this sucks. I also recently updated my Galaxy S3 to Android 4.3.. After that, the wifi connection no longer works.. just can't connect. You look at the reviews for Olympus Image Share App on Google Play site, you will see that a lot of people have this same problem. Currently, there doesn't seem to be a compatibility between Android 4.3 and O.I.S. it just won't connect and no idea how long this will take to fix and get resolved.. Not sure if it's something on O.I.S. to be updated or Android operating system needing another update to work, or perhaps both?!

Maybe just have to wait till Android 4.4 KitKat is released.. whenever that is.. and Google is really slow at releasing updates like that.. and I think it also depends on your carrier as to when they'll actually introduce it to their users through their network.

Luckily, I can still use O.I.S. using my iPad 2, but it sure is less convenient since it's so much larger than my phone. Oh, well... what can you do?.... I just hope enough complaints ring through that they (whoever is responsible for fixing this problem) get their act together and fix a.s.a.p.!

3. erwheezy

erwheezy New to Mu-43

Dec 22, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    Had this same issue with my Note 3. Under wifi advance settings make sure you have "auto network switch" unchecked. After I did that the app started working fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

4. erwheezy

erwheezy New to Mu-43

Dec 22, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    And you have to choose your camera under your wifi list and connect manually. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

5. ergates

ergates New to Mu-43

Feb 21, 2014
    I just received official word from Olympus support that Android 4.3 and 4.4 is not supported by Olympus Image Share. Just so you know.

6. ergates

ergates New to Mu-43

Feb 21, 2014
    Olympus Image Share is officially not supported on Android 4.3 and 4.4

I just got word back from Olympus Support that Olympus Image Share is not supported on devices with Android 4.3 or 4.4.

This is highly disappointing since I was planning to use the E-P5 for instant posting of pictures from events.

Well, now you know.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Works perfectly on my Galaxy S3 running Android 4.3 as well as my Nexus 7 (v2) running Android 4.4.

8. ergates

ergates New to Mu-43

Feb 21, 2014
    Yes, absolutely. But Olympus does not guarantee anything for devices running these OS versions. My Galaxy Note 3 and a friends Sony did not work.

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm surprised it doesn't work on your Note 3. I'm sure they'll update the app before long to fully support the newest phones.

10. DWhite

DWhite Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    David
    See this thread I responded to on dpreview.com. I suspect is will solve your problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DWhite

DWhite Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    David
    erwheezy is most likely correct. Have your tried his suggestion? You didn't specify the problem you're having; but there is a bug connecting some Samsung Android devices to OIShare. The bug is due to a feature added by Samsung to their products that prevents OIShare from connecting to your camera.

See this thread on dpreview.com for a full explanation and solution.

12. ergates

ergates New to Mu-43

Feb 21, 2014
    Yeah, I've tried that. Not only Samsung phone btw, my friends Sony didn't work either. Even if I let the phone forget the local wifi-network it refuses to connect to the camera.

And the problem is that the phone and camera refuses to connect using Image Share. I even sent the camera in for repair since the guy in the shop could not get his telephone to connect either.

Official word from Olympus was that it is not supported. So I'm basically stuck with an unconnected E-P5. Love the pen cameras (had an E-P1 before) and upgraded partially because this ability to transfer "live" pictures from events.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Just merged the two threads on this issue.

14. ergates

ergates New to Mu-43

Feb 21, 2014
    Well, I tried it again and now it works.

I don't quite know how this happened the first few times I tried, but probably due to me fumbling something :)

Anyway, very glad this worked out, thanks to @erwheezy and @DWhite for the help!

15. DWhite

DWhite Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    David
    Glad it worked out. I can relate to your frustration. One of the reasons I upgraded to the E-M1 was for the WiFi remote. It was a very frustrating evening trying to figure out why it wouldn't work. Like you, I finally got it figured out.

Enjoy!

16. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Awesome! This has been driving me nuts on my S4 with my E-P5.

17. MedicineMan4040

MedicineMan4040 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Just got an OM D M10 mk ii.
    Tried to plug in my remote cable release only to find the M10ii has no port for a cable release. Sad.
    Then tried to connect Samsung Note 4. More sadness.
    So far my Olympus experience has been lots of sad....when I first got the M10ii read the forums then shipped
    it to Olympus USA for the lens release fix...time waiting for the return, more sadness.
    I guess I'm used to Panasonic=flawless smartphone connection, no having to send brand new camera off for a fix.
    Well the M10ii was an experiment to get a 'taste' of Olympus. Can't say I recommend the brand with these faux pas'.

18. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You need to go back & read your manual again. Look at page 136 & page 11. http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/omd/man_em10m2_e.pdf
    How were you wanting to connect your Samsung Note 4?
    Have you installed the OI.Share Olympus app on your Note 4?

"If all else fails, read the instructions!"

I think the only "sad" thing is you seem to be criticising the brand & camera without operating it as per instructions, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

19. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    It seems on my Note 4 after I try and connect - I have to go into the Wi-Fi settings and select the device I'm trying to connect to - and then no problems!!!! A couple of weeks ago I had to restart the Note 4 to get it to connect to the Olympus.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  20. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

On my iPad I have to change the WiFi connection from home to camera & also my Galaxy A3 phone too (using KitKat). I start the camera's WiFi, select that on the tablet/phone & then start OI.Share & all should be well. If starting it without switching over the WiFi connection it spits the dummy (for remote connection/transfer) until the WiFi connection is done (on the controlling tablet/phone).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015