1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Image Quest #8: Your Happy Place

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by maritan, Sep 11, 2015.

1. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    The theme for this challenge will be "Your Happy Place." This doesn't have to a location per se, but just something you enjoy doing - something that makes you happy. It could be attending a concert, or going for a hike, relaxing at the beach, taking your dog on a walk or meditating in a yoga studio. Whatever makes you personally happy. Think Happy Gilmore (I will admit I actually enjoy that one Sandler movie).

In accordance with rule #3, I'd appreciate if you would note the date of your photo. I don't plan to dig through exif data. It's the honor system here. Thanks in advance.

Please post a single image, represents the theme. Let's close this month out with this challenge. The deadline to post entries to this challenge will be September 24th at 23:59 [11:59 PM] GMT (Greenwich Mean Time.)

After that, voting will remain opened through September 25th at 23:59 [11:59 PM] GMT. Votes will be tallied, then the winner will be announced. The next challenge should be posted by the winner soon after.

Rules:

1. A single "theme" will be provided for each challenge. These can specify a particular subject (e.g. "trees", "vehicles", "animals", "water"), a shooting/post processing method ("black and white", "shot in M-mode (manual)", "blur", "multiple exposure") or it can be more ephemeral ("happy", "orange", "renewal", "symmetry"). Note: since our audience is global, themes that reference a particular season of the year should be avoided.
    2. Each challenge will run for a period of two weeks. This should give everyone that wishes to participate a chance to get out and exercise his/her vision.
    3. Since the intent of this challenge is to get people out and shooting, entries should be shot during the time-frame of the challenge (i.e. no searching through back catalogs for images that match the theme.
    4. Since this is a Micro Four Thirds forum, entries should be shot with a Micro Four Thirds camera.
    5. Each participant must choose a single image to share in a post on the thread.
    6. A winner will be declared at the end of each challenge based on "votes" received from forum participants. A "like" (thumbs-up) will count as one vote and a "winner" (medal) will count as two votes. Voting is open to anyone (not just participants) and voters may cast as many or as few votes as they wish. Ties will be broken based on the larger number of "winner" votes, beyond that, any ties will be broken by the member who chose the theme (see below).
    7. The winner will choose the theme and post the subsequent challenge in a new thread. If the winner fails to post anew challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. At the end of the challenge the winner of the previous challenge should total the votes and announce the winner and the runners-up.
    Good luck to everybody that chooses to enter. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 4
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Taken yesterday (Sept. 13) at Seven Islands State Birding Park. The park is close enough that it's easy enough to get to for an afternoon. It has a pretty diverse ecology, from upland grassland to forest, to forest ponds, and river bottomland. It's a nice place to just relax and breathe.

21237939908_8e7264809b_b.

• Like Like x 6
  3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Shot on Saturday September 12th...When I need to chill, I head to Sleeping Bear Dunes for some landscape photography. Standing over the outlet into Lake Michigan from North Bar Lake, I can feel the stress leaving my body.

EM128090-20150912-XL.

• Like Like x 15
  4. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Michigan
    My morning trail...

This is a 6 shot pano stitched using Microsoft ICE.

Shot by hand with my 50mm f1.4 Minolta MD @ F4 with an OMD EM5. (Should of brought the tripod!)

Happy Shooting!

Morning Walk by Nick Wright, on Flickr

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  5. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Good entries everybody. Get out this weekend and shoot some stuff (photographically speaking).

6. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Hope so - I've hardly picked up a camera this month - very busy and not pleased. Here's hoping...

7. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    This is a bit tongue in cheek (I do not have any dependencies... other than photography!)

21334169970_41bf154a68_b.
    Running rather low
    by wi-fli, on Flickr

Rob

• Like Like x 5
  8. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I am blessed with a wonderful daughter who enjoys some of the same things I do. Whether hiking, running or mountain biking, we've had our best conversations about life and things that matter while on a trail together. She's had some health issues the last few months that have limited our outings and made me realize that these are times to treasure.

Taken Saturday, September 12th with E-M5/P12-32.
    20150912-P9120337-X2.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I have several happy places, but I'm most happy (and most frequently) around my 3 buddies, Misty, Lacy and Nibbles. I feel very fortunate to have 3 awesome dogs, each with their own unique personality. I was testing out a new (used) 14-54 MKii and got a quick oppty to get 3 of them together posing (almost).

21573249596_0ce28067f4_o_d.

• Like Like x 8
  10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I love photographing sunrises, especially in cities with a beautiful skyline. There's just something I find relaxing about seeing the beauty of a sunrise, while enjoying the quietness of a city before the hustle and bustle begins for the day.

I took this Friday (18 Sep) at about 6:30 AM, overlooking Pittsburgh, PA.

21510566132_704c63a189_h.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    Whilst my wife is doing her sporty stuff I have a few hours on my own, chilling out, eating fast food and taking pictures. On Sunday it was at Richmond Park London which gave me lots of opportunities. I took a few pictures of the deer around the park which I could post, but this one was my personal favourite of the day. I guess that makes my happy place alone with opportunity, behind my EM10.
    20979546703_96d16ec610_b. P9200192 by Phil Plummer, on Flickr

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  12. BrianL

BrianL New to Mu-43

Apr 3, 2013
    Copenhagen
    Brian Laursen
    My happy place is pretty much tied between alone time in front of the computer and nature experiences with my two boys aged 2 and 4.
    The former would probably not make a very good entry so here is one of my youngest from saturday afternoon (19 sep) at our local oasis.
    Alvin Kalvebod-9190161.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 12
  13. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    Really nice shot Brian.

14. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    Two of my favorite things, riding twisty mountain roads with friends, and taking pictures.

21017188654_73b6917521_h. Untitled by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    View from Killiney Hill, Dublin, Ireland,13 September.

The top of the hill is about a half hour walk from the house I grew up in and where my parents still live. Although the hill is surrounded by the suburbs of Dublin and is not especially high, it is just isolated enough to give a sense of escaping from the city below. It was always a favourite place for me to stretch my legs or clear my head. This is the view to the south over Killiney Bay at dusk.
    OI000013.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Firedogg

Firedogg Have cash, will spend

Well, my happy place isn't one particular spot, but actually anywhere I can see the ocean. Having lived on the coast for my entire life, I can't bear to be away from it. So this photo is representative of all my happy places.

21687564701_bc1bbcd708_b. Low Head by Michael, on Flickr

• Like Like x 7
  17. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Last day to post entries folks. Keep them coming.

18. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I'm withdrawing my first entry for this one: Mark Knopfler concert at Red Rocks, Colorado. I fell in love with Dire Straights band way back in my high school years and yesterday's performance was truly happy and emotional place for me!

• Like Like x 5
  19. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Deadline has passed for entries. Voting stays open for the next 24 hours.

Good luck to all entrants.

20. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    And our winner for this challenge with 15 votes is @DoofClenas@DoofClenas! Congrats and you have the honour of starting the next challenge.

@TwoWheels@TwoWheels comes in a close second.
    And, @BrianL@BrianL comes in third.
    Thanks to all that participated. Everyone had very good entries.