1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Image Quest #7: Long Exposure

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Wisertime, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    For this challenge let's try Long Exposure. You can use whatever method you like. Bulb, Manual, Live time, Live composite, etc. Get creative! Let's show what M43 cameras can do with these features or go just with the old tried and true standard methods.

Rather than set a strict shutter speed limit, let's just say that it should be longer than your typical speed for that subject matter, whether that be a static object a race car or anything in between. Good luck everyone and happy shooting!

In accordance with rule #3, I'd appreciate if you would note the date of your photo. I don't plan to dig through exif data. It's the honor system here. Thanks in advance.

Please post a single image, represents the theme. The deadline to post entries to this challenge will be September 10th at 00:00 [12 AM] GMT (Greenwich Mean Time.)

After that, voting will remain opened through September 11th at 00:00 [12 AM] GMT. Votes will be tallied, then the winner will be announced. The next challenge should be posted by the winner soon after.

Rules:

1. A single "theme" will be provided for each challenge. These can specify a particular subject (e.g. "trees", "vehicles", "animals", "water"), a shooting/post processing method ("black and white", "shot in M-mode (manual)", "blur", "multiple exposure") or it can be more ephemeral ("happy", "orange", "renewal", "symmetry"). Note: since our audience is global, themes that reference a particular season of the year should be avoided.
    2. Each challenge will run for a period of two weeks. This should give everyone that wishes to participate a chance to get out and exercise his/her vision.
    3. Since the intent of this challenge is to get people out and shooting, entries should be shot during the time-frame of the challenge (i.e. no searching through back catalogs for images that match the theme.
    4. Since this is a Micro Four Thirds forum, entries should be shot with a Micro Four Thirds camera.
    5. Each participant must choose a single image to share in a post on the thread.
    6. A winner will be declared at the end of each challenge based on "votes" received from forum participants. A "like" (thumbs-up) will count as one vote and a "winner" (medal) will count as two votes. Voting is open to anyone (not just participants) and voters may cast as many or as few votes as they wish. Ties will be broken based on the larger number of "winner" votes, beyond that, any ties will be broken by the member who chose the theme (see below).
    7. The winner will choose the theme and post the subsequent challenge in a new thread. If the winner fails to post anew challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. At the end of the challenge the winner of the previous challenge should total the votes and announce the winner and the runners-up.

• Like Like x 3
  2. gherkin12

gherkin12 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 11, 2013
    Taken 28th August (Doha, Qatar), exposure 60 secs. I will admit considering its was quite bright i was expecting a shorter exposure.

20798438209_d95ee6232f_c.

• Like Like x 13
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    This was taken last night (August 29).

21029412661_5f25134394_b.
    Lightning Show

I set out for a super moon shoot but there were clouds hanging low on the horizon and a storm was moving in from another direction. I turned my attention to the storm since there were the occasional lightning strikes and I wanted to capture them. After trying for a while and getting frustrated at the lack of success, I saw rain starting to close in rapidly on my (exposed) vantage point from yet another direction. I quickly packed up and moved to the closest parking garage. Once I was under a roof, I experimented with Live Composite captures of varying duration for over an hour before the lightning storm finally started picking up and I was getting at least one strike every few minutes. What you see above is the final result of merging six different live composite shots for lightning strikes, and three more shots to retrieve details in the buildings, the lights in the windows, and the traffic light streaks.

• Like Like x 25
    • Winner Winner x 8
  4. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I went out today (8/30) with my 10 stopper + cpl to the beach. Little did I know I was set on jpeg from a previous shot and I always ETTR :|

20997032106_2ae2e11002_b. North Beach by Siftu, on Flickr

• Like Like x 12
  5. shaolinmonk

shaolinmonk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
    Saturday night on a roof top, live bulb if i recall...using a gorilla pod that i held close to the edge lol

20808666559_5a6bb65737_h. P8290447.jpg by k3nny k3n, on Flickr

• Like Like x 12
  6. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    That's a fabulous result......

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    • Like Like x 4
  8. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Thanks DekHog. Appreciate it. Still have some tweaks to do with this picture, but I'm learning a lot with processing this image.

9. Asenath Waite

Asenath Waite Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  10. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    "Art Deco in Andalusia"

ES20150829_068_antequera.

Taken on August 29th in Antequera, Spain. Antequera's historic centre has a wonderful collection of architecture, and on the same night I took various long exposure shot of car trails around cobbled squares, Renaissance mansions, Baroque Churches and so on. But in the end the one I liked best features a very different kind of architecture. Lots of European towns have 1930s Art Deco cinemas but this one is in particularly good shape. It is now used as a municipal auditorium. E-M10 with Panasonic 12-32mm lens plus GorillaPod (and litter bin!), Live Composite with 1 second base exposure, probably around 10 seconds total.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 12
  11. torsteinh

torsteinh Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Norway
    P9030069. I tried various shots, but ended up with this gloomy one.
    Taken about 2 hours ago. (my pants are still wet...)
    12-50mm @12mm,15 sek, f/14 - and a Lee Seven5 Bigstopper.
    (And some heavy messing about on OnOne Perfect Photo suite)

• Like Like x 16
  12. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    LiveComp taken about ten minutes ago. Great feature that I probably would not have tried had it not been for the challenge, so thank you. Been out a few times now trying this out and this one is my favourite to date.
    20604375904_85468b82f2_h. P9070004 by Phil Plummer, on Flickr

• Like Like x 9
  13. Firedogg

Firedogg Have cash, will spend

So we went camping out in the bush last weekend, and I've been thinking about this challenge the whole time. Finally decided to have some fun and let one of the kids run around with a small battery powered LED light. Attached the Panasonic 7-14mm, put the camera on the tripod, and played around with a few different time settings. Tried 15, 30, and 60 second exposures and after reviewing the results, finally settled on this image. Being out in the bush, miles from no-where (no phone, internet, radio or TV), meant no light pollution and gave a matt black backdrop. A quick exposure, contrast, and crop in post processing is the only other work involved.​

Olympus OM-D E-M5 + Panasonic 7-14mm @7mm, f4, ISO 100, 30 sec. Taken 5th September 2015 about 10pm.

21206088156_06d44055c2_h. Long Exposure Challenge by Michael, on Flickr

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 4
  14. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    It's been bad weather recently, managed to get one long exposure shot on 2nd Sept with Olympus 7-14mm Pro lens + EM10MarkII which I'm currently giving a test run. Singapore is where I call home.

200sec, F8, with Haida 10 stopper and 84dot5mm GND on a customised filter holder.
    20902036048_6514b6af10_h.

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    really nice composition Wong with great use of angles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Looks like only a couple hours left for final votes.

17. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Shot on 10/5

EM1 Live Composite about 2 minutes. Haida 10 stop Filter on 12-40mm @ 12mm

EM157897-20150905-XL.

• Like Like x 9
  18. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    About an hour to submit...and 25hrs or so for voting.

EDIT: My bad...was thinking it was 5pm local EST was the dealine to enter, not 5am...so voting should go through early am 9/11, before I'm awake, but will tally asap after that. I withdrew my entry, seeing as I missed the deadline.

That's what I get for copy pasting. :boohoo:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  19. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    Thanks Phil, can't do this angle without the 7mm :)

20. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Congratulations to maritan with an early runaway victory in image quest #7 with 41 votes
    21029412661_5f25134394_b.

Firedogg
    was second with 16 votes in a very close battle for 2nd place.

21206088156_06d44055c2_h.

Thank you everyone for participating and I look forward to the next challenge. With that I'll leave it to
    maritan
    to post the next theme.

• Like Like x 5