1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Image Quest #4: Man and Water

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Aushiker, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    With #4 we head downunder, now this will really throw the clocks out :)

The theme for #4 is "man" and water, i.e, there should be an element of "man" (e.g. man-made, a person or some other aspect referencing "man") and water in your photo, so at minimum those two elements are to be in your image. Other than that you are free too interpret the theme any way you see fit. This is for fun after all.

It would be great and I think it adds to the photos if you can add a little context around your entries. This isn't mandatory, but including information on the camera and lens along with the location and any relevant history or significance of the subject makes the entry more interesting.

Please post a single image that represents the theme. The deadline to post entries to this challenge will be Tuesday, July 28 at 00:00 [12 AM] GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). (I have gone with GMT to hopefully make it easier for every one to work out their local time. Also we have two full weekends in which to shoot. Having the contest begin and end midweek will likely maximize opportunities for those of us who aren't retired.) :biggrin:

After that, voting will remain open through 00:00 [12 AM] GMT on July 29. Votes will be tallied, and a winner will be announced Wednesday evening GMT +8, and then the next challenge should be posted by the winner soon after.

Rules:
    1. A single "theme" will be provided for each challenge. These can specify a particular subject (e.g. "trees", "vehicles", "animals", "water"), a shooting/post processing method ("black and white", "shot in M-mode (manual)", "blur", "multiple exposure") or it can be more ephemeral ("happy", "orange", "renewal", "symmetry"). Note: since our audience is global, themes that reference a particular season of the year should be avoided.
    2. Each challenge will run for a period of two weeks. This should give everyone that wishes to participate a chance to get out and exercise his/her vision.
    3. Since the intent of this challenge is to get people out and shooting, entries should be shot during the time-frame of the challenge (i.e. no searching through back catalogs for images that match the theme).
    4. Since this is a Micro Four Thirds forum, entries should be shot with a Micro Four Thirds camera.
    5. Each participant must choose a single image to share in a post on the thread.
    6. A winner will be declared at the end of each challenge based on "votes" received from forum participants. A "like" (thumbs-up) will count as one vote and a "winner" (medal) will count as two votes. Voting is open to anyone (not just participants) and voters may cast as many or as few votes as they wish. Ties will be broken based on the larger number of "winner" votes, beyond that, any ties will be broken by the member who chose the theme (see below).
    7. The winner will choose the theme and post the subsequent challenge in a new thread. If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. At the end of the challenge the winner of the previous challenge should total the votes and announce the winner and the runners-up.

2. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    That's an excellent theme with almost unlimited possibilities. :2thumbs: But just to be contrary, I may have a "Woman and Water" entry. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Does that mean I need to post my image upside-down so that you can see it correctly? Or do you all just flip your monitors? I don't have a good handle on how this southern hemisphere thing works.:tomato2:

4. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Great theme, looking forward to getting out with this in mind!

5. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    No, you have to stand on your head while taking the photo - that should add an extra degree of difficulty :rofl::hide:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This is going to be the trickiest challenge yet.

7. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Don't forget to factor in the coriolis effect if you are panning.

8. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    nice! Wish I'd thought of that one...

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    Was I expecting this :)

Andrew

10. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    Man I wished I had thought of that ... that would be a cool challenge ... create an image that was upside down.

Andrew

11. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    The vertical lines in the snow are curious. Do you know what caused them?

Andrew

12. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Snow groomers! That is Mt. Hood. They have year round skiing on the Palmer glacier. I stayed last August at the Timberline lodge a few 1000 feet below it (which doubled as the Overlook hotel location in The Shining). Ski teams train there in the summer too. Heavenly place! I wished I lived out there.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Very nice.

Do you ever cross paths with Blaine Franger out there? He just opened a gallery in Hood River. I found his site last year while searching for Mt. Hood photo ideas. He does some great work. Must be nice having Mt. Hood and the Columbia River in your backyard.

http://beautifulhoodriver.com/

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Fantastic capture mate! :2thumbs:

Reminds me of Sam and Frodo about to do the Misty Mountain Hop...

15. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Two very good photos so far, but ... it looks like both may have been taken before the challenge began (apologies if I have misunderstood the dates in one or both cases).

I don't like to nit-pick about rules but for me the fun part of this particular series is that it encourages us to think about how we can go out and take photos to fit the theme - I liked this idea from the start and would like to see it preserved.

• Agree Agree x 7
  16. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I agree. I'm not generally a stickler for rules, but this is really the one that I would draw the line on. Both are very interesting images, but IMHO neither should be considered for the "contest".

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    Good points from yourself and @alan1972@alan1972. Both of these photos will have to be excluded due to being outside of the competition time frame. Acceptable photos are those in the time frame begining at the start of this thread and the closing time of 00:00 [12 AM] GMT on July 29.

Thanks to @50orsohours@50orsohours for removing the image. I hope you can get the opportunity to still participate. I have also asked @caspert79@caspert79 to remove their image as well to make it easier for voting etc.

Andrew

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Both really great images!

But I also +1 the rules with this one. My understanding is this contest is to encourage us to go out and shoot.

19. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    :bump:

With the weekend upon us there is a great opportunity to get your entry in :)

Andrew

20. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I found the "man and water" theme particularly appropriate this week as July 16 is the feast day of La Virgen del Carmen, who is regarded (in Spain anyway) as the patron of fishermen and of sailors generally. In the last 50 or 60 years the coast of Malaga Province has become best known as a beach destination, the "Costa del Sol". But the relationship between man and water in these parts goes back much further, people have been setting out to sea to fish and to trade here for thousands of years, and that tradition is celebrated this week in numerous processions in coastal towns. Many of these processions, like the one shown below in HuelĂ­n, take place partly on land and partly on water, with the Virgin being carried out to sea to bless the waters.

ES20150719_029_malaga_carmen.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1