1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Image Quest #3: Independence

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Wisertime, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I had a previous idea that has escaped me, but considering it's the week of July 4..and Bastille day approaching too, I thought this might be an appropriate topic (at least in the US...but don't let that limit your creativity). The theme for this challenge is "Independence".

Feel free to interpret the theme any way you see fit (you need not be specific to any nation/state or entity....it could be an animal, person, object...etc). This is for fun after all.
    You may add a little context around the entries when it was provided. This isn't mandatory, but including information on the camera and lens along with the location and any relevant history or significance of the subject makes the entry more interesting.

Please post a single image that represents the theme. The deadline to post entries to this challenge will be Monday, July 13 at 6pm Eastern Daylight Time. (I'm extending this one a little so that we have two full weekends in which to shoot. Having the contest begin and end midweek will likely maximize opportunities for those of us who aren't retired.) :biggrin:
    After that, voting will remain open through 6pm (EDT) on Tuesday, June 14. Votes will be tallied, and a winner will be announced Tuesday evening, and then the next challenge should be posted by the winner soon after.

Rules:
    1. A single "theme" will be provided for each challenge. These can specify a particular subject (e.g. "trees", "vehicles", "animals", "water"), a shooting/post processing method ("black and white", "shot in M-mode (manual)", "blur", "multiple exposure") or it can be more ephemeral ("happy", "orange", "renewal", "symmetry"). Note: since our audience is global, themes that reference a particular season of the year should be avoided.
    2. Each challenge will run for a period of two weeks. This should give everyone that wishes to participate a chance to get out and exercise his/her vision.
    3. Since the intent of this challenge is to get people out and shooting, entries should be shot during the timeframe of the challenge (i.e. no searching through back catalogs for images that match the theme).
    4. Since this is a Micro Four Thirds forum, entries should be shot with a Micro Four Thirds camera.
    5. Each participant must choose a single image to share in a post on the thread.
    6. A winner will be declared at the end of each challenge based on "votes" received from forum participants. A "like" (thumbs-up) will count as one vote and a "winner" (medal) will count as two votes. Voting is open to anyone (not just participants) and voters may cast as many or as few votes as they wish. Ties will be broken based on the larger number of "winner" votes, beyond that, any ties will be broken by the member who chose the theme (see below).
    7. The winner will choose the theme and post the subsequent challenge in a new thread. If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. At the end of the challenge the winner of the previous challenge should total the votes and announce the winner and the runners-up.

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Interesting theme... Not sure how to illustrate it though.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    ...and therein lies the challenge. :thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Surely in Australia you have some sort of symbol(s) of independence? or think about nature? People?

http://www.123independenceday.com/australia/

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Sure, but it's just a little odd that the timing of this theme seems to violate the Note under Rule #1 in post #1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Yeah, running it over Independence Day weekend in USA is not fair for other countries.

7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I don't have a problem with the theme coinciding with the 4th of July but it does seem to go against the stated rules. However, independence can mean many different things and can have many different interpretations.

Also, the U.S. is not the only country that will be celebrating Independence Day during the period of this challenge. In fact there are well over a dozen different countries that celebrate Independence day during the first two weeks of July.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_independence_days

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    FWIW I don't see any issue with the theme. Without giving too much away, I have an idea that fits under the definition of "independence" but has nothing to do with nationhood, etc. I'd suggest consulting the nearest dictionary and think laterally...:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. chipshot713

chipshot713 Mu-43 All-Pro

May 24, 2012
    Pearland, Texas
    Kelly
    ^^^ Exactly, especially this time of the year when millions of fledging's are leaving the nests and the safety of their parents. My 2 cents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

That rule is seems like it has more to do with having the theme being "winter" when half the globe is experiencing summer...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Maybe less independence and more imprisonment :) After all the European colonisation of the country was about Australia being a penal colony and the indigenous people might not consider they have had independence since; more so since we are only now discussing how to recognise the indigenous population in our Constitution, more than 200 years post European settlement.

That said it has given me an idea and whilst I agree with Arg I can live with it and will play along ... thanks for keeping the challenge going :)

Andrew

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Like the post said....you can be as creative as you want....doesn't have to do anything with July 4, July 14 or any other date/country...but is inclusive of that. ...in fact, the more creative the better. I might have been thinking too much along the lines of a DPR type contest and not something more simplistic for the sake of the contest, but I thought it might be open ended enough to do...I had a few ideas that were "independent" of the obvious myself.

That said, I have no problem changing or modifying the contest if the majority say so....but as others have hinted at there are other possibilities beyond the obvious. I clearly laid out that it wasn't just about the USA and It's not like there is $ on the line.

Technically, there really is no such thing as independence...the earth is symbiotic..but for the sake of usage in daily life and the contest we aren't getting that deep. ie: A solitary tree, animal, person, car or motorcycle can represent Independence (despite that fact that all these ultimately depend on food, water, shelter or fuel etc..thus the technical).
    :daz:

It can be anything that represents independence to you personally (money, house, whatever). Just go out have fun and take a good photograph and let the best one win...we won't be sticklers if it's a stretch of the imagination. My apologies if my theme was bending the rules. I've never started a contest before.

IF we want to modify it would could use SOLITUDE instead...or either/or in case anyone started. Whatever you guys/girls want to do.:friends:

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    I am okay with it ... it might force me to play tourist and pay some dollars for access but then there is a local tour I have been meaning to do so this might just be the motivation I need to get me doing it :)

Andrew

14. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I agree...lets just go take some pictures and have fun with it. That's why we're here. If this one doesn't suit everyone, there will be another one coming in a couple weeks. My first reaction was that it's US centric, but in thinking about it more, there are lots of possibilities. No apologies necessary. :thumbup:
    We're supposed to be creative types, so let's be creative...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Guys, nobody said "American Independence." That may have been the OP's inspiration but it wasn't portrayed as such at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I don't have any issues with the theme. It just requires a little more thinking on how to represent it.

17. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I haven't got a PROBLEM with the theme, and totally agree it's just fun not a competition, and it should go ahead unmolested. I just wanted the Americans to see what happened here, and that the reason for having the note under Rule #1 probably wasn't taken into consideration.

OTOH as @Aushiker@Aushiker noted for Australia (and equally true for USA), there is a genuine issue for indigenous peoples. Let's be respectful of that, then creative.

I have a couple of ideas, I hope I get the time to execute them.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    No issues here either. The whole point of this contest is to do a little bit of thinking, go out and shoot and have fun.

Aside from that, when I saw the word independence as the theme, my initial thought had nothing to do with Independence Day even though I'm a U.S. citizen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Always someone that has to ruin it. Maybe I'll catch you guys next time.

20. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Sorry you feel that way. I'm sure you are talking about me. I apologise to everyone if you feel that I ruined anything. I just wanted to talk about something, national formation day celebrations, that in my country are quite socially sensitive, and that this thread seemed to at least partially overlap, and at least in timing terms not entirely by coincidence.

OK I'm rather embarrassed now and kind of want to move on. :blush: