1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Image Quest #2: The Paths We Follow

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by TwoWheels, Jun 14, 2015.

1. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    The theme for this challenge is "The paths we follow".

Most of us spend time every day traveling on paths that have been made for us--highways, city streets, country roads, bike lanes, hiking trails, neighborhood sidewalks, rivers/canals, airport runways, garden paths, etc. Interpret the theme as you like and post your best shot of a path that people follow.

In Image Quest #1, I enjoyed reading a little context around the entries when it was provided. This isn't mandatory, but including information on the camera and lens along with the location and any relevant history or significance of the subject makes the entry more interesting.

Please post a single image that represents the theme. The deadline to post entries to this challenge will be Monday, June 29 at 3pm Pacific Daylight Time (UTC -7). (I'm extending this one a little so that we have two full weekends in which to shoot. Having the contest begin and end midweek will likely maximize opportunities for those of us who aren't retired.) :biggrin:
    After that, voting will remain open through 3pm (PDT) on Tuesday, June 30. Votes will be tallied, and a winner will be announced Tuesday evening, and then the next challenge should be posted by the winner soon after.

Rules:
    1. A single "theme" will be provided for each challenge. These can specify a particular subject (e.g. "trees", "vehicles", "animals", "water"), a shooting/post processing method ("black and white", "shot in M-mode (manual)", "blur", "multiple exposure") or it can be more ephemeral ("happy", "orange", "renewal", "symmetry"). Note: since our audience is global, themes that reference a particular season of the year should be avoided.
    2. Each challenge will run for a period of two weeks. This should give everyone that wishes to participate a chance to get out and exercise his/her vision.
    3. Since the intent of this challenge is to get people out and shooting, entries should be shot during the timeframe of the challenge (i.e. no searching through back catalogs for images that match the theme).
    4. Since this is a Micro Four Thirds forum, entries should be shot with a Micro Four Thirds camera.
    5. Each participant must choose a single image to share in a post on the thread.
    6. A winner will be declared at the end of each challenge based on "votes" received from forum participants. A "like" (thumbs-up) will count as one vote and a "winner" (medal) will count as two votes. Voting is open to anyone (not just participants) and voters may cast as many or as few votes as they wish. Ties will be broken based on the larger number of "winner" votes, beyond that, any ties will be broken by the member who chose the theme (see below).
    7. The winner will choose the theme and post the subsequent challenge in a new thread. If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. At the end of the challenge the winner of the previous challenge should total the votes and announce the winner and the runners-up.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Lovely capture, Dave. However, among the overriding goals of this contest is to get people to create new images based off the theme. This rule also allows those participants who may have only recently started shooting to compete on an equal footing to those who may have an extensive back catalog of work. As such, this entry cannot be considered for the purposes of the contest, but hopefully it will provide inspiration to get this challenge rolling. Please feel free to get back out there in the next two weeks and submit another entry.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Try again. This is the lane that runs behind our house. I walk it most everyday. Taken with an Oly 40-150mm lens on anEPL1 camera.
    18898286666_55a9e7d76a_b. Back Lane by Dave Buckle, on Flickr

• Like Like x 8
  4. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    A reminder to everyone to go out this weekend and get your best shot of a path you follow. And kudos to @dbuckle@dbuckle for being the first to post and getting us off to a good start. :2thumbs:

5. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I didn't read the rules, and it doesn't qualify. The moderator can delete it if need be, but some may like it anyways.
    grass.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    The next stage of my life (post divorce) was first spent across the road from this park, Herdsman Lake so a visit to memories past today to take a few photographs. I spent a lot of time walking and riding around this lake.

The Path Well Travelled
    by Andrew, on Flickr

Andrew

• Like Like x 10
  7. Firedogg

Firedogg Have cash, will spend

This photo was taken on the 5th of February 2015, a bit outside of the timeframe specified. Maybe you could get back out there and have another go. There is still 1 whole week before the deadline, so plenty of time to complete the challenge within the guidelines.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Metro, Washington DC. My friend was pathfinding and I was image-making.

metro-L.

• Like Like x 11
  9. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    A path along Faversham Creek:

path.

IR Converted GM1 & Pana 20mm

• Like Like x 8
  10. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    The path followed and returned on to attend a gathering of fellow hobbyists doing Christmas lights over the weekend.
    Packed the car up and travelled 700 miles (1130kms) each way in the last 4 days.
    A large part of the distance is driving through flat featureless countryside.
    This photo was taken about 7hrs into the drive home and I just grabbed the PM2 and shot a few from the drivers seat to give a drivers perspective to the scene.
    Nothing technical was taken into account, the camera was on auto, the lens was the 12-50 at 12mm.
    The white fluffy stuff on the road side is actually cotton as this area is a big cotton growing irrigation area though from the photo you wouldn't guess.
    19041801546_d15898de25_h. PM226828 by Phil Gartner, on Flickr

• Like Like x 9
  11. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    My son and I went for a walk across Hagwilget bridge. The walkway is so narrow,you have to stand against the railing when vehicles go past. bridge (1 of 1)-16.

• Like Like x 5
  12. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

The track I ride my MTB to work every day...

IMG_1825_zps3642c21c.

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 4
  13. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    Can I have your commute?

14. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    The path no longer traveled. The abandoned E&N tracks that travel along the western border of Goldstream Provincial Park, just outside of Victoria, BC. E-M5 with P12-32.

20150620-P6200016-Edit-X2.

• Like Like x 11
  15. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Wait till summer, you might want to hand it back then :)

Andrew

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Yep, average max temp is 45.2C, average minimum temp is 29C

• Like Like x 1
  17. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

P0015664.

This is the trail next to Batiquitos Lagoon that I find myself on several times a week these days. I always take my camera but I seldom shoot anything. It's a lovely, peaceful place that keeps drawing me back.

Brian

• Like Like x 12
  18. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Amtrak railroad service route from Auburn to San Jose, CA, about 150 miles range, serving total 23 round trips daily between cities.

Taken with EM5+O17 on June 17, 2015 @7:41pm PST at Alviso, facing south.

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I won't be moving there anytime soon. Anything over 32°C is too hot for me, especially if there's any kind of humidity involved.

20. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Dammit. Forgot about the m43 camera rule again. So...

<This space reserved for future image.> :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1