Image Quest #1: My town

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by DeeJayK, May 29, 2015.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    For background on this contest, please see my announcement. If there are any questions/comments about the overall contest, please share them on that thread.

The theme for this challenge is "My town".

One of my favorite things about this forum is getting to know fellow forum member through their images which provide a peek into their lives. To that end, in this challenge I'd like you to share something about the place you live.

EDIT: Based on some feedback, let me clarify: the theme is meant to be open to your interpretation. You can interpret it as literally or as loosely as you like. Feel free to try to take a wide-angle shot from a drone that shows your entire town, or just create an image that evokes the theme for you.

This challenge will run through Friday, June 12. Please post a single image that represents the theme.

EDIT: Just to nail down the details, deadline to post entries is this Friday, June 12 at 10pm Pacific Daylight Time (UTC -7). After that, voting will remain open through noon (PDT) on Sunday, June 14. Votes will be tallied, and a winner will be announced Sunday afternoon/evening, and then the next challenge should be posted by the winner sometime early next week.

Rules:
    1. A single "theme" will be provided for each challenge. These can be specify a particular subject (e.g. "trees", "vehicles", "animals", "water"), a shooting/post processing method ("black and white", "shot in M-mode (manual)", "blur", "multiple exposure") or it can be more ephemeral ("happy", "orange", "renewal", "symmetry"). Note: since our audience is global, themes that reference a particular season of the year should be avoided.
    2. Each challenge will run for a period of two weeks. This should give everyone that wishes to participate a chance to get out and exercise his/her vision.
    3. Since the intent of this challenge is to get people out and shooting, entries should be shot during the timeframe of the challenge (i.e. no searching through back catalogs for images that match the theme).
    4. Since this is a Micro Four Thirds forum, entries should be shot with a Micro Four Thirds camera.
    5. Each participant must choose a single image to share in a post on the thread.
    6. A winner will be declared at the end of each challenge based on "votes" received from forum participants. A "like" (thumbs-up) will count as one vote and a "winner" (medal) will count as two votes. Voting is open to anyone (not just participants) and voters may cast as many or as few votes as they wish. Ties will be broken based on the larger number of "winner" votes, beyond that, any ties will be broken by the member who chose the theme (see below).
    7. The winner will choose the theme and post the subsequent challenge in a new thread. If the winner fails to post a new challenge within five days, the responsibility passes to the runner-up. At the end of the challenge the winner of the previous challenge should total the votes and announce the winner and the runners-up.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    OMG. I was just going to create a challenge just like this. I got the idea from EyeEm's "mission challenges".

3. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I would say that "great minds think alike", but I wouldn't want to insult you like that.;)

4. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    LOL. Well how about...

"Great minds don't think alike, for that is why they are great."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Nothing to share yet. Spent some time over the weekend trying to figure out how best to capture the theme. Beginning to wonder already if the two week timeframe is just going to invite "paralysis by analysis". Hopefully others are similarly plotting their best shot.

Which is all basically to say....:bump:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. martin-jo

martin-jo New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2013
    Germany
    "Single image" as in "one shot taken" and not "237 images beautifully stitched together", I assume?! Thanks. And yes, paralysis has set in...

7. leendertv

leendertv Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2011
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Leendert
    [​IMG]
    I live in Rotterdam, a city in the Netherlands.
    Rotterdam is known for its modern architecture.

In this photo you see a part of the new railway station (Rotterdam Centraal).
    This is the "best building of the year" in the Netherlands.
    See: http://www.archdaily.com/588218/rot...meyer-en-van-schooten-architecten-and-west-8/

An other special new building in Rotterdam is the "Markthal" (Market Hall).
    This is a residential- and office building with a market hall underneath.
    The inside of the building is painted with a 11.000 m2 artwork.
    see: http://www.designcurial.com/news/market-forces-4455805

Panasonic GX7 + Panasonic 14-140mm f3.5-5.6

• Like Like x 11
  8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Feel free to stitch together, collage, focus stack, etc. as many images as you choose. The rule is less about shutter actuations and more about each participant submitting a single entry rather than posting ten images to see what sticks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Thanks for breaking the seal on this challenge, Leendert!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. leendertv

leendertv Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2011
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Leendert
    It's an easy challenge for me: It's impossible to make a bad picture of Rotterdam! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I happened to be visiting my parents when DeeJayK posted this thread, so I have interpreted "My town" as the place I grew up in rather than where I live now. This photo was taken at Killiney Beach, to the south of Dublin, Ireland. The light trail is from a DART commuter trail on the Dublin-Bray railway; this part of the line opened in 1854 and was electrified in 1984. I must have travelled on this line thousands of times, as did my father on his daily commute to work.

I used the EM10's Live Composite feature for this photo, base exposure was 6 seconds and I think there must have been at least 10 exposures as the train climbed up the hill. I was there around 10:30pm on a Sunday night when there are very long gaps between trains, so I only got one shot at this.

IE20150531_033_killiney.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. chicago8c

chicago8c Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2014
    Chicago, with its huge downtown buildings and mix of older and newer:
    17921012784_8db0695230_c. June62015-16 by chicago8c, on Flickr

• Like Like x 10
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I was in my home town (Fall River, MA) last week and I'm going for the nostalgic approach:
    FRHouse-L.

• Like Like x 10
  14. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Portland

18608018581_d2dc2ad5d5_h.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Recently went for a stroll on the weekend, looking for something suitable for the theme. It was toss up between this shot and another.
    There are 3 things I wanted to show with this photo
    -The Brisbane River which our city is built around
    -An iconic scene or landmark for the city - in this case, it's the 'Story Bridge'. A locally well known landmark.
    -People living life - in this case, I waited for something suitable to pass by. Young family with baby and dog, seemed a good fit. Brisbane isn't a particularly amazing city, but one thing my friends and I agree on, is that it's a good place to bring up family.
    I went black and white with this one, because weather was overcast at the time and lighting was flat. I usually prefer colour, though.

18014249234_d3a95e8fd3_c. P1010683 by hazwing, on Flickr

• Like Like x 10
  16. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I went for more of a photojournalistic interpretation of the theme. This picture was taken on May 31 during a standing ovation at the final concert conducted by my town's long time high school band director, who is retiring at the end of the school year after more than thirty years as a music educator. He has taken the band many places, including to the Tournament of Roses Parade in 2014, and is responsible for the band program growing to become the largest HS band program in the state, so it was an emotional night, particularly for the seniors.

my town.

• Like Like x 9
  17. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I live in Seoul, Korea (more specifically in Gangnam) but Myeongdong which is located centrally in Seoul epitomizes the city so well. It's both a prime shopping district and one of the major financial districts with over 2 million people coming thru this part of the city on a daily basis. The real estate and rent prices in this area are some of the city's steepest (more expensive than NYC) but it attracts people from all walks of life, all age groups and all races from locals to tourists.

Ooops. I just read the rules and it says that entries should be shot with an m43 camera. If this is a problem, I'll shoot another pic sometime this week. :blush:

"Myeongdong At Dusk"

18457628661_0b1b266e45_b.

FUJIFILM X100T, 19MM (28MM EQUIVALENT), F4, 1/160, ISO 1600

• Like Like x 9
  18. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Wow, lots of great entries so far!

I just posted a clarification in the original post that the entry deadline will be 10pm Pacific time on Friday and voting will continue through Sunday at noon.

I'm not much of a stickler for the rules, so I'll let this one slide. Next time, though...

19. OMDave

OMDave Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2015
    Two iconic Chicago buildings in a rather cold but beautiful June saturday afternoon:)

P6060032.

• Like Like x 2
  20. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    Victoria, B.C. is located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island, just across the Strait of Juan de Fuca from the U.S. border (Washington state) and a ferry ride away from Vancouver, B.C. on the Canadian mainland. It's a great little city, benefiting from being the provincial capital and a tourism magnet, yet its island setting keeps it partially isolated from some of the ills that plague many cities. Victoria's Inner Harbour is the heart of the city. It is surrounded by a picturesque downtown, hotels, restaurants, condo buildings and the iconic Empress Hotel and B.C. Legislature Building. The setting draws 200 cruise ships annually and countless other tourists that arrive by ferry. But what makes Victoria unique is the float plane traffic in and out of the harbour every day. An average of 250,000 people arrive in Victoria's Inner Harbour each year via float planes operated by three small commercial airlines. After living in Victoria for twelve years, I never tire of hearing them fly high above my house as they approach or watching them land in the harbour and taxi to the floating terminal.

E-M5 with P12-32.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 4