1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Image quality question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by fastcar888, Apr 4, 2011.

1. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    I realize different lenses have different purposes.

What lenses do you think have the best image quality, regardless of price, in Micro Four Thirds (without any adapter)? Thank you.

2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Panasonic 20 mm f/1.7, no contest.

I shall add nonetheless that most of the native :43: lenses perform correctly too.

Cheers,

3. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I would agree with that and add the 45mm f/2.8 macro.
    Plus if you don't mind manual focus the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95
    is very special.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    To be honest, all the native m43 lenses are pretty good.

The 20/1.7 and 45/2.8 are certainly the standouts.

I would say the 45-200 zoom is the "dog" of the bunch, and even it's pretty decent if you're careful how you use it.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    To me the standouts are the Lumix 7-14, 20/1.7, and 45/2.8 macro.

The 14-45mm Panasonic kit lens is also a very high performer and belongs in that company IMO.

All the native lenses have good or better performance (again IMO).

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    without seeing what kind of photos you are trying to take... and where you are coming from in terms of photographic history I would only say that having good technique and having realistic expectations of what your camera can deliver will often deliver better IQ

Absolute IQ is often overrated - its how the picture looks and whether it pleases you is much more important than MTF curves

that being said the panasonic 20mm has always pleased me... but then again my girlfriends 75mm summilux leica is very nice too

i have used a lot of lenses on 4/3 and micro 4/3....but then again i seek quality of image as opposed to image quality

these are my legacy shots

Legacy lenses - a set on Flickr

and these are my 20/1.7 shots

Panasonic 20/1.7 - a set on Flickr

K

7. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Kevin,

Nice shots on Flickr. The Leica 75mm 1.4 Leica lens is out of this world. I had that lens in the past. In fact, I went to "Leica School" (a three day seminar) about eight years ago in Kennebunkport, Mass.

With that said, I seek both a quality of an image and image quality. Thanks.

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    thank you fastcar

as you can see from my pics I do appreciate the qualities that 'better' lenses bring... but i also know that the ultimate quality of the image is down to the photographer... not the camera

well it is for me... i know i can take a lousy photo on a M9 and something that gives me and other joys on a 10 year old Canon Ixus and vice versa

Even if I knew a few blues scales and Eric clapton/jimi hendrix/ your guitar hero, gave me their guitar... I wouldnt be able to make the same noise

K

9. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Agreed Kevin. The 4/3 camera have me enthusiastic again about photography. Although I never really lost my passion, it is a huge pain to lug a DSLR camera and two or three lenses on a plane. I never would pack that in my baggage. Now, with 4/3 it is easy. Just bought the E PL2 with the kit and a 45mm Pany/Leica. Most likely, I will get the 20mm 1.7 next. Not sure which way to go with a tele north of 45mm that I want for my next trip (to Alaska in a few months).

10. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I have to agree with those that identified the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and the PanaLeica 45mm f2.8. As far as zooms go, I have to point out the Pany 14-140 is my fave.

11. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Panasonic 20mm. One of my all time favorites.

I too think the 14-45 mm is a pretty nice lens.

12. hendrik78m

hendrik78m Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2011
    Even the 14-42 lumix is not too shabby. Been testing the lens shooting models with that lens and EP2 in several occasion. My D300 now only for work and as backup when i want a little oomph (wireless strobist). I guess if my EP2 can control several speedlight like my D300, i wouldnt need D300 unless i shoot outdoor on rainy season :D

13. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    More votes for these Panny lenses:

20/1.7
    7-14
    14-45
    14-140

Handled well, these lenses return outstanding IQ...
    you won't go wrong with any of 'em! :2thumbs:

14. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The Panasonic 20 is terrific. I like the Panasonic 14-45 as well. I just picked ne up and I am really surprised at how nice it is. I don't even feel the need to add "for a kit lens". For manual focus I quite like the Helios 44-2 (it's a 58/2 FSU lens) and the Pen F 40/1.4.

I agree with Kevin as well...the biggest factor in IQ is the skill of the person behind the lens.