Image Processing is Vital to my Work

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Robert Watcher, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

Image Processing Vital to my Work

I am a photographer who is of the opinion that taking a photo is only half of the creative process. Darkroom processing and manipulation play a major role in the success of a photograph. It was true in the days when I processed all of my own colour and b&w film and prints in my wet darkroom - and applies exactly the same these days in my digital darkroom.

It is true that the image has to be there in the first place. It is hard to turn a poor photograph into gem. Although it is certainly getting easier with todays digital tools.

I came across an image yesterday as I was going through some of my travel files in Lightroom - - - and came across this image that had passed me by up until now. Obviously the content caught my eye when I passed the scene several years ago - and I made sure that what I photographed had good storytelling and graphic material, lighting and the compositional elements needed for me to make a good print if I desired. But the shot must have gotten overlooked by me, once I moved on to the next days images that I would be shooting and processing.

This is also one feature that I love about my choice of never throwing any files away - regardless. My Lightroom Catalogue contains everything I have shot, and easily accessible to view or process.

So let me show you the original frame that I revisited yesterday. And then how it was processed into a final image that is identifiable as my style and is something that I would print for display.

Image straight from the camera (something must have caught my eye when I shot it):

20110317-20110317-E3177210-2.

And now with my artistic liberty in the darkroom to make it a gem (in my eyes anyway):

20110317-20110317-E3177210.

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.