1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Image hosting

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Lurch, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Lurch

Lurch Hi, I'm a gear addict

Apr 21, 2014
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    So I've been playing catch up, reading a bunch of threads seeing I havent been around much.
    There has been a few regarding difference hosting services such as Flicker, 500px, Smugbug, Squarespace etc.
    Although Squarespace is a little different in that its an 'entire site' hosting.

I guess the other option is to host yourself.
    There is a bunch of different web apps out there now. I've been a massive Wordpress user for a looooong time now and there isn't much it cannot do.
    However lately I've been having a look at Koken. It's a web app that seems to be centered around a photography/art portfolio first and blogging second.
    So far I'm liking it and the updates over the past 6 months or so have bought a lot of stability.
    This is what I've come up with so far (please dont judge the actualy photography too harshly) http://photo.dsotp.net
    I'm interested to hear what other self-hosted web apps for photographers that are out there? (I'm already familiar with the other obvious ones like Gallery and Coppermine)

• Like Like x 1
  2. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I literally just moved to Koken today. I was using Squarespace for a couple of years, and while I really like that service too, I didn't feel like renewing this year. I also used a self-hosted Wordpress for the longest time, more as a blog than anything.

The main part I like about Koken is the actual content management system - it looks like a slice of Lightroom with all the tagging and collections, and the integration with Lightroom itself through the plugin (though I haven't tried that yet). Also, the free themes that it comes with and that you can get from the 'store' look really nice to me even out of the box. I would say that the squarespace themes were maybe a tad nicer, but they're both great imo.

I really like it so far - the setup was painless and the site's been running smooth, but it's only been a day so we'll see I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Ha, timely thread. I moved my site to Koken a couple months ago and have been writing up a few blog posts on my transition.

Part 1 - Birth of a Photoblog: Overview of why I switched from Wordpress and an introduction to Koken and CloudWays, who I am using for hosting)
    Part 2 - CloudWays & Hover Review: If you are looking at running Koken, do it on CloudWays. $5 a month and the performance speaks for itself.
    Part 3 - Koken Revew - is still in draft mode, I am not quite done writing it but I should be publishing it in the next day or two so I will update this thread when it's up. Until then, I will say...

I couldn't be more pleased with Koken. The Lightroom integration is so, so, so good. Every gallery and album on my site is a Smart Album in my LR catalog. As I edit and develop my photos, I use a consistent tagging and star-rating system to automatically add the photos to the appropriate Smart Album(s). Whenever I add, update, or modify images in LR, I just republish all the changes and they are synced to Koken. Photos that live in multiple albums on Koken are not duplicated on the server, saving storage and resources. It's by far the easiest way to publish I've ever used, and truly photographer-centric. The other plugins are nice too -- the Vimeo one is just dandy, since hosting your own video is kind of the pits.

If anyone is wondering about large collections... as of now I have 1,579 photos on my site managed by Koken and I am adding more daily. This is my personal portfolio, family photo collection to share with friends and family, and personal/travel blog, so it's got a little bit of everything. Koken doesn't even stutter under the load. And I have the cheapest hosting tier ($5/month on CloudWays... read my review above to learn more).

The blog aspect of Koken is the weakest component, but then again, it's not supposed to be a true blogging platform like Wordpress. It's more of a photo gallery/portfolio tool that has a blog engine too, instead of the other way around.

Note that I have been messing with Squarespace for a more limited business site front-end, but I can immediately tell that it has nothing on Koken when it comes to hosting a photographer's online gallery, assuming it is of any size at all. If you are just wanting to host a small, simple portfolio, then yeah, check out Squarespace. Their integration with third party services (social), e-commerce, etc is all very strong, so if that stuff is more important, they have you covered. But for large online galleries and photo management, Koken is unbeatable.

• Like Like x 2