Image file sizes shrinking

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
I noticed that with my E-M1 mk1 and four thirds Olympus 9-18 lens (not the native m4/3 9-18; but old 4/3 9-18 via off-brand adapter), sometimes image file sizes shrink to about 50% of normal (or less), seemingly randomly. That happens even with RAW files.

I am not 100% sure but such image size shrinking problem only seemed to occur with that lens.

Sometimes that lens / adapter combo had to be reseated to engage communication electronically with camera. I don't know if that is related to file size shrinking.

Maybe when I shoot an image, I accidentally bump the lens and disengage the electronic contact, right before I release shutter? I really doubt that can happen at such precise scenario and moment though (as I always make sure autofocus works before I release shutter).

Please kindly comment, if you know what causes such image size shrinking and how to resolve that. Thank you very much!

Edit: I will pay attention nex time and keep all problematic images. RAW and jpg. Currently, I don't think I have original files to pinpoint how much shrinking occurred (I habitualy delete bad photos).

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
With an E-M1 II (as an example), the file size of RAW files can vary from about 22MB to 16 MB.
JPGs of LSF quality vary from over 14MB all the way down to 500KB, so 28 times smaller!
The less there is in your photo the less data there is. So you may not have a problem.
Do the photos that have suffered "shrinking" look OK? Were you photographing the sky or a blank ceiling perhaps?
Until we have an example we can't tell if anything is wrong.

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
Thank you very much!

Sorry, I went back, double-checked and suspect it was caused by software glitches of my FastStone Image Viewer, not by lens. Image shrinking also occured with my m4/3 Panasonic 20mm f/1.7.

Most of the "shrunken " images looked just fine, as long as I focused correctly. I do shoot LSF+RAW most of the times.

For example, one of my (incorrectly focused) Olympus LSF showed up as 8.49 MB 4608x3456 when I pointed my mouse onto it.

With its ORF counterpart, FastStone Image Viewer showed it as "2320x1736 = 4.03 MP, 13,943 KB". Right clicking my mouse onto this ORF under "property", it revealed "13.6MB". Once I used FastStone to save that ORF (without any modification) as RGB 100% jpg, pointing my mouse on that FastStone jpg revealed it as 2320x1736 5.72MB.

Last edited:

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
P1010120 Oly LSF.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The immediate above is Oly LSF straight from E-M1 mk1 and P20mm f/1.7. Please note that it was not focused correctly. This Olympus LSF showed up as 8.49 MB 4608x3456 when I pointed my mouse onto it.

I tried to attached the ORF, but forum does not seem to "allow" it. With this ORF counterpart of the abnove LSF jpg, FastStone Image Viewer showed it as "2320x1736 = 4.03 MP, 13,943 KB". But right clicking my mouse onto this ORF under "property", it revealed "13.6MB".

P1010120 FastStone Jpg.jpg

The immediate above is FastStone converted ORF original of the exact same LSF frame.
Once I used FastStone to save that ORF (without any modification) as RGB 100% jpg, pointing my mouse on that FastStone jpg revealed it as 2320x1736 5.72MB.

Quite a bit smaller than the OLy LSF jpg :doh:

Last edited:

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is all wrong. You say you are taking photos that are only 4 MP. 2320x1736 . You don't have a 4MP camera. Therefore you are setting it to take inferior photos. Why are you doing that?
Forget the file sizes in MB for mow. Concentrate only on the number of pixels.

Look at Shooting Menu 1. Record Mode (that is the symbol on the fourth row). What do you have it set to? The first letter should always be L, not M or S.
Look at Custom Menu G, first column. Again you need make sure you have an L on the first option there. I recommend LSF.
Perhaps you have a Myset which is set to give you something other than L.

This is the solution. You need to put this right. You really don't want to use this lovely camera running in a crippled 4MP mode.

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks, but I am not that dumb. I always shoot L LSF. Problem is / was not that. I have a PhD in science and am reasonbaly good with tech.

I did help a beginner before, who set camera to take low res images. I am not that kind.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just realised you may be thinking you can use Faststone to make a JPG from an ORF. It doesn't do that, it is just a viewer. The embedded low quality JPG in the ORF can be extracted. But you should not be doing that. Either stick to using the camera to take JPGs, or get a program that can process ORFs into JPGs properly.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks, but I am not that dumb. I always shoot L LSF. Problem is / was not that. I ahve a PhD in science and am reasonbaly good with tech.

I did help a beginner before, who set camera to take low res images. I am not that kind.
I did not mean to insult you. I was just in a hurry. Sorry. See my second message.

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
I just realised you may be thinking you can use Faststone to make a JPG from an ORF. It doesn't do that, it is just a viewer. The embedded low quality JPG in the ORF can be extracted. But you should not be doing that. Either stick to using the camera to take JPGs, or get a program that can process ORFs into JPGs properly.

No insult taken.

I think FastStone does make high quality jpg out of ORF most of the times, but occasionally it seems to mess up randomly. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The following jpg image was cropped (to remove frame of the painting) , processed and extracted (ORF ->jpg) in FastStone; it looks pretty sharp to my eyes down to pixels. That was taken as ORF, handheld in a slightly dark room, P20mm f/1.7, at f/2.2, 1/13 sec, iso 640.

mu2.JPG

This particular jpg (after corppig) has a size of 2248 x 4346 and 12.7MP.

Last edited:

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
No insult taken.

I think FastStone does make high quality jpg out of ORF most of the times, but occasionally it seems to mess up randomly. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The following jpg image was cropped (to remove frame of the painting) , processed and extracted (ORF ->jpg) in FastStone; it looks pretty sharp to my eyes down to pixels. That was taken as ORF, handheld in a slightly dark room, P20mm f/1.7, at f/2.2, 1/13 sec, iso 640.

View attachment 873656

This particular jpg (after corppig) has a size of 2248 x 4346 and 12.7MP.
When FastStone Viewer opens a RAW file, older versions initially display the low quality embedded JPEG file. Pressing the A key when this JPEG is displayed will cause FSV to load the full size RAW file.

This behaviour is dependent on which version of FSV you are using. Later versions open the RAW or DNG file immediately, and pressing the A key merely displays it at 100%. I'm currently using v.7.5 of FSV.

HTH.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Opens normally in Lightroom as a full sized Olympus raw file.

Exporting as JPEG at 100 quality without doing anything to it gives me an 8.3 MB file.

Screenshot 2021-02-14 at 00.31.11.png

Screenshot 2021-02-14 at 00.33.20.png

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
When FastStone Viewer opens a RAW file, older versions initially display the low quality embedded JPEG file. Pressing the A key when this JPEG is displayed will cause FSV to load the full size RAW file.

This behaviour is dependent on which version of FSV you are using. Later versions open the RAW or DNG file immediately, and pressing the A key merely displays it at 100%. I'm currently using v.7.5 of FSV.

HTH.

Bingo! Pressing the A key solved the problem and loaded the full res RAW of correct size (can also save as ORF as 4640 x 3472 18.4 MB jpg now). The version I was using is 7.4. I will update to v7.5 now.

Thank you, gents. You are all very kind and helpful.

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
I found that with FastStone Image Viewer, I need to go to "setting" -> "RAW" and change it to view and convert RAW files as "actual size (slow)", not as "imbedded preview image (fastest)".

In a time when most people use smartphone to take and view their photos, why set a semi-serious photo editing software default to low res preview :speechless:

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
I found that with FastStone Image Viewer, I need to go to "setting" -> "RAW" and change it to view and convert RAW files as "actual size (slow)", not as "imbedded preview image (fastest)".

In a time when most people use smartphone to take and view their photos, why set a semi-serious photo editing software default to low res preview :speechless:
Because ...

When FSV is building its database for even a 32 GB card full of images initially, it takes a LONG time. So does Adobe Bridge ...

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm glad you solved it (I was using version 7.0).

It defaults to using the embedded jpg because its reputation is based on being incredibly fast. You can use it to look through thousands of files faster than any other way.

There is one other FastStone Viewer setting you should be aware of. It defaults to NOT using proper colour management, in other words it ignores any embedded colour profile. Again, this keeps it very fast. It doesn't matter if all your files are sRGB anyway. Go to:
Settings / CMS tab / Enable CMS (if you want to).

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm glad you solved it (I was using version 7.0).

It defaults to using the embedded jpg because its reputation is based on being incredibly fast. You can use it to look through thousands of files faster than any other way.

There is one other FastStone Viewer setting you should be aware of. It defaults to NOT using proper colour management, in other words it ignores any embedded colour profile. Again, this keeps it very fast. It doesn't matter if all your files are sRGB anyway. Go to:
Settings / CMS tab / Enable CMS (if you want to).

Thank you! I went there to check, after I enabled RAW actual size. It was already enabled; maybe by me clicking "actual size"? I am just guessing; it is nice to learn this.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom