iMac Question - Snow Leopard v Leopard

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by BillN, Nov 9, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Need a little help here - What's the difference between Leopard and Snow Leopard

My iMac desktop runs Mac OS X v 10.5.8 which apparently is Leopard

and the Mac Book Pro which I got a month ago runs

Mac OS X v 10.6.4 which apparently is Snow Leopard

If I run the software update on the imac it says that the software is up to date

Any recommendations - should I get Snow Leopard for the desktop or just leave as is

Ceers

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    snow leopard is a upgrade of leopard, it has a bit more bells and whislte and is a 64bit system. Leopard is the base OS. I like leopard, but I prefer the added features of snow leopard and with all the updates it runs faster then leopard. And it does free up room on your hard drive. It really resolved the earlier issues that it had when it first came out. But lion is coming out next year. Not sure if I like that, more ipad and iphone app interface.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    Snow Leopard is a later version that only runs on Macs with Intel processors. Some software that runs on Leopard 10.5x will not run on Snow Leopard 10.6x [eg FileMaker Pro 8.5].

Leopard 10.5x will run on both Intel and PPC processor Macs but some newer software [eg Aperture 3] will not run on it.
    Snow Leopard is a new version and NOT an upgrade to Leopard so your iMac is correct when it says it is up to date.

Assuming your iMac is a recent Intel machine you can install Snow Leopard on it [price very reasonable] but you should check your software compatibility first -- easy for you since you can test it on your laptop. You probably will not notice much increase in performance.

Richard

• Like Like x 2
  4. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    actually aperture 3 will run on leopard, I installed aperture 3 before snow leopard on my current macbook pro.

5. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Snow Leopard has some significant performance improvements. It's not very expensive, either. $29

• Like Like x 1
  6. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks everyone - great replies and quick, (as usual)

OK then - so my iMac, (my desktop), has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor - so if I wanted to I could just buy a copy of Snow leopard and upgrade

Accepting that there maybe the odd application compatibility

Is it then just putting the CD in the computer and letting the machine figure it out?

Presumably the disk I got with my MBP is a single license CD?

7. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    My error. It will not install on my PPC machine running Leopard which mislead me :(

Richard

8. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    Yes.
    Yes, it will offer you various choices. I think it always better to do a fresh install [erasing all your data!] but that would depend on whether you have back-ups and software disks.
    Yes, it will almost certainly only work with a MBP.

Richard

• Like Like x 2
  9. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey Bill I got Snow Leopard for 13 bucks and it virtually looks the same as 'Leopard' but 'feels' a lot freer. Apple has spent time working on the behind the scenes stuff and they have given us 'Snow Leopard' as the fruit of their endeavours. Grand Central dispatch is one thing that I think is a very good implementation and there is stacks of other cool stuff my head can't remember at the moment. I fully recommend Snow Leopard.

Another fairly recent update I had was inertial scrolling similar to the iphone but I'm not sure whether this is just for Snow Leopard.

• Like Like x 2
  10. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Yup just pop it in an let it install, an no it is not a single lic, think you can install on 3 different mac. I have mine on 3.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    the software restore disc you got with your macbook pro will not work to upgrade your iMac. so unless you specifically purchased a Snow Leopard disc for your MBP you will need to buy it for your iMac.
    you really don't need to do a complete re-format/ clean install when going from Leopard to Snow Leopard. (unless you are experiencing other problems.) the Snow Leopard install was designed for most people to simply upgrade. a clean install is ok, but really, unless you have existing problems, it is more trouble than it is worth.
    (my iMac went from Tiger > Leopard > Snow Leopard with no problems at all. back when i was on windows i would always do a clean install.)
    the next OS version is Lion and it is to be released summer of 2011 (probably late summer). the cost for Snow Leopard is only $29.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

We have four mac here each running Snow Leopard. While the Apple touts all the advantages the main one I saw was that each computer gained disk space and it was a sufficient amount, enough to justify the upgrade.

13. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    update - I bought a Snow Leopard disk for £25 from the Apple store in London - stuck it into my Leopard iMac and it "upgraded" itself - I think that it took about an hour - all preference etc., were kept and all the programmes that were install have run OK

no serial number (key) with the disk and the install did not ask for one

I did not want to take any chances, (by using a Snow Leopard disk from another machine), for the sake of £25

14. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Bill if you ever have more than one computer to do the family pack is cheaper than two versions and you can legally use it on five computers.