iMac Question, can I get a delete warning ?

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
I can't comment on that, but what I do is manual sporadic back-ups. Target is once a week, though I don't always hit that.
No worries, just wanted to warn that while Time Machine is great, it can/does delete stuff from time to time in a sort of 'thinning' process.

If you're using a relatively recent version of MacOS, one cool thing is that it will actually save TimeMachine stuff (files for backup) in a hidden way and then save them to your TM drive when you connect it. So it's actually doing some additional saving you may not notice. (Obviously this is within the limits of drive space etc).

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Another option is to get yourself a large drive and make it your Time Machine. Since everything takes a trip to the Trash first, if you accidentally delete something, go to Trash, alt click and select "put back." You don't have to remember where it was, the software knows. If you don't know the names of the files, just put back everything. Yeah, you might end up restoring something you wanted to delete, too, but you can always go back and delete them again. Normally you wouldn't have this problem if you knew what you were deleting. I don't believe Macs won't let you delete critical system files, at least not without a password first. It may not let you delete them at all.
I ended up putting everything back and noticed some directories were put in applications. When i deleted these ON1 stopped working so i have to reinstall that.

Not sure but it looks like when i upgraded ON1 it put the old version files in the trash

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I ended up putting everything back and noticed some directories were put in applications. When i deleted these ON1 stopped working so i have to reinstall that.

Not sure but it looks like when i upgraded ON1 it put the old version files in the trash
Yeah, the On1 update process is a bit strange on Mac. It asks you when you update it if you want it to delete previous versions of the program. I guess in case you want a fall-back in case of bugs? It's strange, as every other developer just does the whole update in the more traditional sense. I never paid attention to if it puts the previous version in the trash, but I do believe that it puts the app in the Launcher along with a subfolder for managing the app. Not my preferred way to go on a Mac, TBH. It should just allow you to drop the app in the trash to uninstall it.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The macOS Trash is just a special folder assigned to the Finder. It takes 3 steps minimum to send files to the Trash and delete files permanently. The user must deliberately navigate to the Trash to wipe items from the system. It is difficult by design to delete files on the macOS.
That may be true if you relalise you have deleted the file and know the name, other wise it is hit and miss, at least for me.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Are there any third party apps that give extra functionality to Mac PC's ?
Or undelete programs that will give a delete warning.
windows has a lot of third party tools to add extra controls or configuration options.

I don't mind purchasing another app that give better functionality for what I would like.

Something like the old "PC Tools" or "Norton" that I used years ago. The PC tools undelete that took over from windows was very good as it would show the directories as well as the files in the deleted bin.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Are there any third party apps that give extra functionality to Mac PC's ?
I have been using Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) for a couple decades or so now. Great cloning tool and also a great backup tool.

Anyway, to answer your question, you can set it up so when you plug in your backup drives it will run an incremental backup where it adds new stuff to the backup, moves stuff around in your backup if you did so on your computer, and the feature you are looking for is it creates a folder called _CCC SafetyNet where any files that were modified (saving the previous version here) or deleted since the last backup are put into this folder into a subfolder by date of backup. So when you run a backup, before you disconnect it again, check that folder and you will see what files were modified or deleted. If there are no new files thrown into this folder, then you are good to go.

More information on that feature can be found here...
https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/protect...stination-volume-carbon-copy-cloner-safetynet

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
One warning, time machine will delete certain files to save space without warning (by default anyway). E.g.: create a file at 10 am, time machine backs up at 11, you delete at 11.30, end of the day time machine will (I believe) get rid of that file.

That's not true. You can open Time Machine, go to the 11 AM backup and recover your file.

If this wasn't true, Time Machine would be pretty worthless.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Because it’s not deleted. It’s only in the Trash.

On maxOS, delete means emptying the trash.

This is the same as emptying the Windows Recycle Bin. If you never manually empty the Trash, every single file you've ever moved to Trash is still in there, just like the Recycle Bin.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have been using Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) for a couple decades or so now. Great cloning tool and also a great backup tool.

Anyway, to answer your question, you can set it up so when you plug in your backup drives it will run an incremental backup where it adds new stuff to the backup, moves stuff around in your backup if you did so on your computer, and the feature you are looking for is it creates a folder called _CCC SafetyNet where any files that were modified (saving the previous version here) or deleted since the last backup are put into this folder into a subfolder by date of backup. So when you run a backup, before you disconnect it again, check that folder and you will see what files were modified or deleted. If there are no new files thrown into this folder, then you are good to go.

More information on that feature can be found here...
https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/protect...stination-volume-carbon-copy-cloner-safetynet
Thanks for the link, will look further into this one

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
The macOS Trash is just a special folder assigned to the Finder. It takes 3 steps minimum to send files to the Trash and delete files permanently. The user must deliberately navigate to the Trash to wipe items from the system. It is difficult by design to delete files on the macOS.
MacOS, like Windows, is largely based on shortcuts. Files can even be deleted immediately, bypassing Trash: Option+Command+Delete

Global statements are difficult when discussing modern OS's as they are made for scores of people that do things their own way.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That's not true. You can open Time Machine, go to the 11 AM backup and recover your file.

Agreed, however there is the scenario where when Time Machine runs out of space it will delete the oldest backups to make space for new saves. Time Machine is thus not suitable for archival backup. Fwiw.

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular

It does periodically remove files to save space.

Perhaps not as quickly as I implied in the phrasing (it does it to save space), but eventually intermediate files get removed. It's not just as simple as only the oldest.

https://www.macworld.com/article/23...-files-that-you-ve-deleted-from-your-mac.html

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro

He is talking about what happens if I understand him correctly as the TimeMachine backup drive gets full, and he is correct.

Deletion of the intermediate backups happens but no info is lost as the longer time period backups incorporate that info.

Now, if you save a file and immediately delete it, you might be able to skunk TimeMachine...

If a backup drive is not connected T/M will not "save" the info (contra a post above) but AFAIK, will keep meta data about it as a housekeeping matter. When reconnected, it will then save the files it kept track of.

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
If a backup drive is not connected T/M will not "save" the info (contra a post above) but AFAIK, will keep meta data about it as a housekeeping matter. When reconnected, it will then save the files it kept track of.
It can winnow files from the hourly and daily backups.

And it can save files in local snapshots that can then get saved over to the backup drive later (subject to space on the startup disk).

https://www.howtogeek.com/276196/you-can-use-time-machine-even-if-your-backup-drive-isnt-plugged-in/

It's very good but it's not a full archive solution.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Yes, from what I gather, once you configure Time Machine on a Mac, your Mac will make its own snapshots with available storage on your local drive, and when you reconnect to the Time Machine drive, it updates and clears that space locally. It should behave like this since any MacBook Air/Pro won't always be connected to the Time Machine drive. I believe these backups are in the "Other" category when you look at your storage info under "About this Mac."

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
Agreed, however there is the scenario where when Time Machine runs out of space it will delete the oldest backups to make space for new saves. Time Machine is thus not suitable for archival backup. Fwiw.
No, its not suitable for archival backups. Its not and has never been an archival backup. Its incremental. Which makes it extremely useful for recovering files. Before it runs out of space, the user can decide what gets deleted. My backups go back a decade, split over 2 5TB drives, with the very simple approach of dumping what i believe isn't necessary and not letting my computer make what are important decisions for me.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom